The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

VB 6.0 - VB.NET

I have been developing apps written in VB 6.0/SQL Server for an automotive company.  I am finding myself reluctant to move to .NET because all other Third party apps, i.e Fanuc Robotic apps, are also written in VB 6.0.  Also, VB 6.0/SQL Server has been great to me. 

Anyway, my question is, how much longer do I have before a gun is put to my head to move these in-house apps to .NET?

My thinking is to wait as long as possible and then jump and the latest and greatest technology at that time.  I am thinking I can develop using VB 6.0 for another 2 - 5 years.  So before people start saying I am on drugs for sticking to VB 6.0, consider the environment I am developing in.
J. B. Send private email
Monday, February 20, 2006

If your tools do the job they were designed to do, and your users are happy, and the O/Ss you use will support them, there is no compelling reason to move - other than that your personal development skills are becoming stale.

Microsoft still supports DOS apps in Windows eleven years after Win95 put the final nail in their coffin.

The decision is yours and your company's, not anyone else's.  If the libs you require to do your work don't exist in .Net, then you shouldn't move.  If they do, then you should move now because that will keep you up to speed in case you need a new job.  Just don't tell your boss that - make up a compelling business reason and convince them that way.
Karl Perry Send private email

For Our desktop apps. customers .NET give nothing (instead of slover/flicking GUI). They write invoices and analyze stock and sales results. According to MS, VB6 will work on Vista and next OS is far far away. We stay with VB6 and leisurely learn QT.
Ervins

Ervins - QT?
Marcus from Melbourne

Ervins
Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I agree with Karl:

No need to port your existing apps if they're working just fine.

For new apps or utilities, might not be a bad thing to start them in .Net. Learning to program in the concrete is much more productive than trying to do it abstractly.

Once you feel comfortable, you might try an experiment and just see how much work it would take to port one of your VB6 apps. Might not be as much work as you though. Might be more :)
Brad Corbin Send private email
Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I'm still selling vb3.0 apps.
Mr. Analogy {uISV} Send private email
Friday, February 24, 2006

we quietly closed the book on VB3 a while back (yes everyone we could find got a free upgrade) and we are still shipping VB6 code. However we have found that the move to the .NET environment has been customer led on "policy" grounds rather than because of any functional or design criteria.

I would advise sticking with VB6 while your customers are happy with it BUT make it clear that you are ready to switch development to .NET as soon as they are ready. You don't want to get left out (as that "old VB6 legacy source") when your customers suddenly get the idea that they want to get more "up-to-date". As your customers shift to XP/Vista they will start noticing that VB6 apps don't quite look right and that will probably act as the spur to change in the end - more likely than a design requirement.
Mike Griffiths Send private email
Friday, February 24, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics