The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Keyboard layout

(Design of hardware I guess rather than software - but here goes)...which idiot decided that new keyboards should have the home/end/etc keys laid out differently -

What I expect:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=043#

what I don't want:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000642RX/104-7712705-3627138?v=glance&n=172282

If you are a programmer you use end/home ALL the time - and I am constantly hitting the delete button instead on this supid new layout!
Another Contractor....
Monday, February 20, 2006

So why did you get the "Elite" instead of the "Pro" or the 4000?

I agree with you that it is a pain.  I have both a "Pro" with the standard layout and an "Elite" with the condensed layout.
Jared

By accident mostly - I forgot to check - because you just wouldn't expect that to change! No-one changes the positions of the keys on a standard keyboard, or puts the number pad the other way up - why would other keys move around!

Now I'm getting the 4000....
Another Contractor....

Switch to vi/vim and get rid of those stupid keys. Laptop manufacturers are the worst offenders. I did it last year for that very reason.

Freedom for typists!

:)
J Send private email

Well, if you didn't by h/w from a s/w company, you might have less trouble! ;-)  (Not that there aren't a lot of stupid keyboards out there.)
Chris Nelson Send private email

I think it's a way to give a natural keyboard a smaller foot print, because of the way the main keys are spread out it means other things have to give.

I reguarly use 3 different keyboards and once you get going it's not too much of a problem to remeber what to do.
Andrew Gilfrin Send private email

Logitech do the same!!! Some of theirs are "good" - some aren't! I'm impressed by those of you who can switch from one layout to the other - it's so deeply ingrained in my pseudo touch typing that I can't get past it!

I am cursing about the fact that I type  with either index finger (it goes to the right on a split keyboard) and B with my right (it goes to the left)....anyone know of a split keyboard with duplicated middle keys? (so you have a Y/B on both hands)? That would *really* suit me!!! But I think it's going to be easier to get the Y/B right than to learn different home/end etc keys...
Another Contractor....

As discussed here before, http://www.pckeyboard.com can hook you up.  They have the rights & tooling for the original PS/2 Model-M keyboard, the gold-standard of keyboards.
example Send private email

Once upon a time, long ago, Microsoft made an ergonomic keyboard that used the standard layout.  Then Something Happened, and they removed that model from the line and substituted a succession of models with the screwed up layout you (and I) despise so much.  As far as I know, their new "Natural Ergonomic  Keyboard 4000" is the first since the original to return to following the standard.

Now, as to What Happened to cause the original change, I have a theory.  Those many years ago I remember reading a news item that MS had lost a patent (or copyright?) infringement case regarding their Natural Keyboard.  Soon after that the deliberately defective keyboards replaced the good ones.  I strongly suspect that they were enjoined from using the standard layout in an ergonomic format, or an ergonomic format in the standard layout.  And now, perhaps, the patent/copyright/agreement has run its course and they are free to do it right again.

But is is just a theory.
RH Send private email
Tuesday, February 21, 2006

My Dell wireless keyboard has the same crappy two column/three row layout, although I've got Insert below Page Down.  It is a terrible thing, unfortunately I had no input into the buying decision.
Jon B Send private email

Ironically, I'm so used to the vertical arrangement by now that the _other_ arrangement feels weird.  I kept hitting the wrong key the other day at work and switching to Overwrite mode.

Luckily I've got another Microsoft Natural keyboard there now, so problem solved.  :)  Gives me some sympathy for what Dvorak typists must go through.
Kyralessa Send private email

So its not just me... got a new shiny black 'puter dropped onto my desk at work (OK, I had asked for more power) and it came with a MS keyboard which really threw me with its 3 column x 3 row navigation keys. Have got used to it, but for a while it was really fustrating, given that my home computer has 3 cols x 2 rows.

Still don't get it though... why in this day & age does this MS keyboard have a tiny rounded left hand ctrl-key (which is worn already from use) and a huge caps lock key that I have never intentionally used (does anyone?). Why is the right hand CTRL key larger? Why ScrLk & useless Pause/Brk and PrtSrn keys when a Copy/Paste/Cut keys would be more useful.

As for the trend for Mail, WebHome & Search keys .. never used them.. does anybody?
Grant Send private email
Thursday, February 23, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics