The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

DAO and Jet deployment for VC++ 6.0 Application?

Yo -

I have inherited a profoundly undocumented Visual C++/MFC application that uses DAO (CDaoDatabase) and Jet for access to an Access '97 format MDB file. All it does is access tables and SQL through Jet to the MDB file. There is no access to a server DB or any other type of data source.

What I would like to know is how to test for existence of the necessary Jet engine and DAO components on a target system, and what components to deploy in order to assure that the DB code in the app will work correctly. The target system will be a modern Windows XP SP 2 system, probably "bare" with no applications installed. There was probably a clear path for this in 1999, but since Windows and DB stuff has been through many revisions it's less clear what needed to be taken care of.

I tried Google but these topics bring up 10s of thousands of hits.

The client will not pay to have this stuff gutted and re-written and it does seem to work fine as is. The only "little" problem is that we need to build an installer and I don't have a clue what is the best practice for dealing with an application like this.

I would prefer to build an installer that doesn't mess up later version DB components that may exist on the system being installed to.

Launch an MDAC installer and let it do its thing, I am assuming?

TIA.
Bored Bystander Send private email
Thursday, February 16, 2006

Also: the DB specific files written by the current installer are:

DAO2535.TLB
DAO350.DLL
MSJET35.DLL
MSJINT35.DLL
MSJTER35.DLL
MSRD2X35.DLL
MSRDO20.DLL
MSREPL35.DLL
msvcrt40.dll
RDOCURS.DLL
vbajet32.dll
vbar332.dll

If your target OS is XP, you don't need to do anything.

The *original* XP comes pre-loaded with MDAC 2.7, MSJET 4 SP5, DAO 3.6, and ODBC 3.5.

You don't need to install anything.
MBJ Send private email

That's what I thought; I poked around and found that. Thanks.

So maybe the thing to do is strip the DAO/Jet installation out and require XP as the Windows platform for installation.

If you can get away with that, why not?

But a lot of people are still running Win 2k.
MBJ Send private email

My client is a system integrator for this stuff. Their target platform is Windows XP. In fact, they sell the customer the entire machine with this product preinstalled. So, yes, I can make a pretty clear case that since W2K and earlier will never be an issue, why devote any effort to deploying on those platforms?

Again, thanks for the heads up.

That makes sense.

And come to think of it, I think Win 2k comes with the same components, just older versions.

In any case, it would be a good idea to run Windows update to update all those components to the latest version.
MBJ Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics