The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Delphi 2006 components

Guys, what the best component suite for Delphi(with support Delphi 2006). I plan to switch from .NET and looking for same as Infragistics NetAdvantage or Janus Systems in Delphi.
Alex Tretyakov
Sunday, February 12, 2006

Good luck with the transition and keep us informed on how it goes.
cipher

The Developer Express components from www.devexpress.com are the best I have used for either Win32 or .NET development.
Craig

For grid type components nobody beats DevExpress.

Jan Derk
Jan Derk

+1 for the DevExpress components...feature rich, reasonably priced.
Donald Adams

Developer Express is very popular.

InfoPower used to be popular for connected datasets, but I get the feeling they are not keeping up.

See http://www.woll2woll.com/InfoPower.html

Check Sourceforge for the TurboPower components. You may need to do some tweaking to get them to work with Delphi 2006, but they have some nice stuff.

And, of course, download the lastest version of Indy, version 10.
MBJ Send private email

Component One suite?
Ace
Monday, February 13, 2006

ALso check TMS Software (http://www.tmssoftware.com/) Are good, and the best things is a VERY complete suite. Not have much documentation but the whole thing is easy to grasp.
Mario Alejandro M. Send private email
Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Just got Delphi 2006 on my machine. Its a fairly overwhelming amount of stuff.

Was going to whine about the good old days of Delphi 1,2,3 etc, and how light & fast they were when they were focused on app development instead of the bunch of business buzzwords that D2006 seems to be targeted at...  but I will just be accused of being a sad old timer. And things were never quite that good in the old days with Borland running around pushing Visual dBase & other crap rather than listening & supporting the Delphi community anyway.

Oh well, teaching myself C# at the moment, (have done plenty of pascal/C++ in the paste so feel at home).

Maybe its just me, but one thing with new fangled C#/.NET; in a oldschool programming language you include "foobar.pas" or <vcl.h> & if it didn't compile you searched for the _file_ and added it to the path. Nowdays you include a package like 'using Microsoft.DirectX;' and if it doesn't compile you have to find the package .. somewhere/somehow.
Grant Send private email
Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Just a note... "using" in C# doesn't import anything, it merely defines a namespace alias. There's no such thing as source-level inclusion, what you're doing when referencing other assemblies is effectively run-time linking. You always have to know exactly which assemblies you wish to reference, it's just that the compiler/IDE already knows the basic ones.
Chris Nahr Send private email
Wednesday, February 15, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics