The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Thoughts on rumoured new iPod interface?

There are rumours of a new iPod having a touch sensitive screen for the purpose of both display and interaction.

Somebody (not me) made a mockup here:
http://www.deviantart.com/view/28738962/
If it were indeed to be like this, I wonder how people would like it? While it would be powerful in that it could use a much greater area for display of images and other applications (games?) I worry that it would be sacrificing too much in regards to simple music playing. The biggest problem is the lack of tactile feedback a user would get in interacting. No nice "clicks" when pressing on the sides of the control pad, and no "wheel-spinny" feeling when rotating the control pad (which was done away with after 1G iPods).

So, is the iPod departing from its roots, that of being a simple tool optimized in every manner for the sole purpose of playing music? Can it do so successfully?
Garth Shoemaker Send private email
Friday, February 10, 2006

One big problem: who wants to watch video through a mess of greasy fingerprints?
James Kew Send private email
Friday, February 10, 2006

Not gonna work well. Can't play with the buttons without looking at it.
Wayne B Send private email
Saturday, February 11, 2006

Apple focuses on fashion, not functionality, so I definitely think it's plausible.  It's not hard to imagine legions of Apple fanboys running around with their scratched up, fingerprint smudged new iPods scoffing at those who still have physical controls on their MP3 players.
SomeBody Send private email

One interesting aspect of the rumoured interface is the fact that it is multi-input, meaning a user can touch several places at once, and the device recognizes all this as input. A user can simultaneously select an item from a list with their left hand, and adjust volume with the right hand.

This is a huge departure from tradional computer interaction. Since the invention of the mouse, a single computer was driven with a single pointing input device and single keyboard. This precludes a single user inputting with multiple pointing devices, or multiple people sharing a computer.

It will be very interested to see if multi-pointer interaction catches on in the commercial mainstream. There has been a fair amount of research dealing with it (including some by myself), but it really does need a "push" from some big company in order to hit the big time.
Garth Shoemaker Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics