The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Treeview activex control ?

I've searched all over the net and although I found some good ones (for example dbi-tech.com seems to have a nice one in their Component Toolbox) they all seem to come in  really pricey bundles and I don't need the whole package, I just need a tree control.

There is a free one from vbaccelerator but I can't use that one because of its dependency on the mscomtl32.ocx.

I'm not looking for a free one but just for a good looking (xp style support) reasonably priced one.

Anybody knows a good treeview activex control for use in VB6 ?

TIA
John S Send private email
Thursday, February 09, 2006

And why is mscomtl32.ocx dependancy a problem? Any other control you will still have to worry about distribution and registration.
DJ

The customer for whom I develop this application has a very weird policy on deploying MS VB controls due to some incompatibilities with some other legacy applications.

Therefore I can't install any of the VB ocx controls.

>> The customer for whom I develop this application has a very weird policy on deploying MS VB controls due to some incompatibilities with some other legacy applications.

Wow, if we had any outsourced dev right now I'd assume that you were doing development for my employer...

The 'easiest' solution is to not use an .ocx at all - just make API calls to the real treeview control (the .ocx is just a wrapper to make using the 'real' control in Comctl32.dll easier).

There are several sites with information about it, but the one that I have marked in my favorites is:
http://btmtz.mvps.org/treeview/
RocketJeff Send private email

Thanks Jeff.
I still hope to find one already made but that might be a solution.
Friday, February 10, 2006

Joel Coehoorn
Tuesday, February 14, 2006

More specifics on the treeview here:
http://www.asp.net/ControlGallery/ControlDetail.aspx?Control=75&tabindex=2

It doesn't say it supports it, but we use a TreeView in a .Net 2.0 web site, so it should work at some level.
Joel Coehoorn
Tuesday, February 14, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics