The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Hosting Question for High-Volume Sites

Hello-

I have a client that serves broadband entertainment (Flash games, mostly).  It's campaign-based, so typically, there is a flurry of activity on a campaign, then it tapers off and approaches zero.  Last month, the site served up about 5 TB of data.  The problem we are running into is that 5 TB is expensive.  It wouldn't be a big deal, except some months will be 1 TB, others will be 5 TB or above.  So, we either need to purchase a huge amount of bandwidth, and potentially waste a lot of it, or buy less and deal with even more expensive bandwidth overages.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on how to host a high-volume site that has rapidly fluxuating bandwidth needs?  I've already contacted Akamai to see if their platform will help.  Also, cost is an issue, but paying a fair price for the right solution is more important.

Regards-
    Eric
Eric Marthinsen Send private email
Thursday, February 09, 2006

I know some places have an overage plan where you pay one rate for a baseline level of bandwidth and then $X/Mbs more when more is used.

That's a lot of variance though.

You might want to ask the same question on http://www.webhostingtalk.com/
son of parnas
Thursday, February 09, 2006

Dreamhost has 1.6Tb on their $19.99 per month plans.
Tapiwa Send private email
Monday, February 13, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics