The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

QlikView

I'm evaluatin a new and quite uncommon BI tool named QlikView.
Does anybody have experience about it?
How it works? Is it well accepted by users?

Any comment is appreciated
Sevenoaks Send private email
Friday, February 03, 2006

How do you pronounce that??
Larry Lard Send private email

"Click - View."
Is quite a strange tool, totally interactive, to create reports that remind an application.
Quite cool, almost too advanced for the market.

Wow, I see it's very, very popular... :-)
Monday, February 06, 2006

I'm wondering if it's not popular because it seems not not really commercially feasible as a platform for writing applications the general market. It may be only really useful for the needs of a specific client. I say that because the product itself looks really interesting.
Robert Lerner Send private email

I worked in a very similar tool for a previous employer and the users loved it. I wonder how they deal with the data load phase as that was one of the big issues.

I would investigate whether it scales (say, how dos it cope with gigabyte sized databases, for example).
JSD Send private email

JSD - may I ask what tool that was? Thanks
Robert Lerner Send private email

RL:

in my opinion it should be regarded as an application itself and not a platform.
The true advantage of this kind of applications is to hide the db complexity and allow the users to build reports by themselves with little or no programming effort.
What's revolutionary is not the associative db (this technology has been out there since 70's) but the fact that reports seem an app and are as much interactive.
The idea is very good but I do not know wether non tech users are ready for this or not.

I have looked at qlikview a while ago. It definitely has some unique ideas. But the main problem I have is how to use that thing. It is half platform/tool, and half application. It's probably too one-dimensional to be used as a platform for building other applications, and too general for use as an application. What type of usage are you thinking about? I would be very interested to know.
blablabla

Robert,

It is a data visualization and extraction system with KPIs and some stats. It is specialized for a segment of the insurance industry and it cost a bunch. Send me an email if you want a link to their website (no pictures their, just PR stuff though).
JSD Send private email
Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I have some small client which BusinnessObjects is too much for.
I was looking for something different and less expensive.

The interactivity is positive and must be appreciated, and it's the main reason to adopt it. What I fear is that many users are too linked to the paper sheet for reporting. In BO there's at least the paper metaphor, here is not even available.

More, I'm concerned about the performances with lage sets of data.
Tuesday, February 07, 2006

QlikView is pronounced "ClickView".

QlikView is a tool that can be used to visualize data very quickly.  It does require a bit of SQL knowledge to do the ETL part, but once you figure out how to get the data model properly constructed data analysis is simple.

QlikView is not limited to the insurance business as it has been implemented in various busines sectors to include manufacturing, retail sales, medical, schools and many other industries. 

I have been in the business for 22 years now and this is one of the coolest products I have use over the years. 

FYI.. I work for QlikTech.
Wade Manis Send private email
Friday, February 17, 2006

Our company has just acquired a very large number of licenses for all of the flavors of Qlikview.  This is being pushed from the top down as a corporate solution to bridge all business areas as a standardized reporting/analyzing solution.  As a Business Analyst in my department, I have been granted access at the Enterprise level.

At first, I was a little hesitant to try building my own application, but I was pleasantly surprised to see how easy it was once I was finished.  I must say that I used a very basic database. When I tried using a more complex database I ran into a roadblock trying to use the expression builder, because I am not too familiar with SQL. The software does have quite a bit of depth to it, and could take quite a lot of usage to learn and take advantage of all features.

I have heard from other areas that building/editing the load script can become tedious because there is no expression builder, and also becuase if there is an error in the load script the program merely tells you there is an error but doesn't tell you where, so the programer must review the entire script.

On the other hand, this has been a great asset to us because Qlikview compresses normal data down to about 1/3 or 1/4 of its original size, which reduces storage space and also makes processing more efficient.  Also, we are using a dedicated server to store and process our applications which saves us resources on our desktops, and helps us to avoid computer crashes and system slowdowns that we would normally experience while running complex queries in MS Access.

Overall, I have had a favorable exprerience and am looking forward to building my skills with Qlikview.
Analyst at Large Send private email
Wednesday, February 22, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics