The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Sites for College Students

I am currently working on a project collaboration site for students.  I want to create or commission a look-and-feel for the site that is appropriate to the age group.

Since I haven't seen my early twenties for over a decade, I'm probably not the best reference, which leads me to my question...

What are some examples of sites oriented to college students which demonstrate a "commercial quality" look-and-feel?

One example I have found is Facebook at http://www.facebook.com which the daughter uses regularly.

As a side note, the few sites I have found seem to either use a monochromatic blue scheme... or every possible color the designer could get his/her hands on.
Caffeinated Send private email
Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Don't forget myspaces...
KC Send private email

The "Museum of Modern Betas" is the best place I know to stay in touch with the "flavor of the moment" in UI design.

http://momb.socio-kybernetics.net/

Just remember that MoMB is a fashion magazine (which I think is what you are looking for) and not neccesarily a guide to great or even good user interface design.

-Don
Don Send private email

Not to sound cynical, but I didn't see alot of business models on those sites...

... but the look-and-feels were interesting.  I'll have to browse more of them this evening.

Thanks.

I'm not a college student and I haven't been one for a while so I may not be anywhere near as plugged in as I'd like to be.

When reading about sites intended for college students, the one theme I have noticed is that they all tend to be button heavy yet relentlessly efficient from a user-interface standpoint.

Four buttons over here centered around one task, five buttons over there that have another task in common, six buttons in yet another corner...

I think its an extension of one-click instant gratification.
TheDavid

students dont have currency
Dan
Wednesday, February 01, 2006

"students dont have currency"

Cite your source...
Wednesday, February 01, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics