The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Design will get you to #1

I disagree that design will not get you to #1.  Using your own example of the ipod, most if not all of the other MP3 players available were lacking in one very important design category:  visual appeal.  Apple took their design further than Creative did in that category.  The iPod is more visually appealing than the Zen.  On top of being functional, the iPod is pleasing to users in that it offers a high degree of satisfaction just looking at it. 

This past Christmas, I was one of millions shopping for iPods for my teens, and looked at both iPod and Creative's Zen players. I ended up buying....SanDisk.  Why?  Because it had all the features that both the other players did, had lots of storage capacity, upgradable to even higher capacities, and was more visually appealing than the Zen yet less expensive than the iPod.
Ron Anderson Send private email
Tuesday, January 31, 2006
And how do your teens feel about it?
MT Heart
Tuesday, January 31, 2006
and before reading your post, I thought Zen was some sort of PHP thing!
Eric (another ISV guy with his company)
Wednesday, February 01, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics