The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Write the 'great design' articles first, please

open letter to Joel :-

I am itching to see your latest ideas on good design, but after tonight's first draft "What Makes It Great?" I am *aching* to see what your insights are into the black magic of great design.

So please write the last third first.  Life seems too short to wait 21 weeks for the black magic.  I already know that users don't read (I have seen it for myself, and you have told us.)  But I have no idea what makes Julia Roberts great (she is.)
David Corking Send private email
Monday, January 30, 2006
I would second this, mainly because you've already written the majority of the "good design" articles years ago :)
Ian Schreiber Send private email
Tuesday, January 31, 2006
Ah good, that means that my plan to use suspense to get people to read through the whole book is working...
Joel Spolsky Send private email
Tuesday, January 31, 2006
Thought you might say that!

Yes - it's working.

But 21 weeks of suspense?  That is worse than that 'Lost' show on TV.

Now I am afraid that I will see the design articles in my mailbox, get in the habit of thinking 'I read that before' (many articles are updates of your older design articles aren't they?) putting them aside to read later, and then missing the brand spanking new ones when they do finally get here.

Or worse - what if you got bored - or too busy - and never write them?
David Corking Send private email
Wednesday, February 01, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics