The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Functional Specifications within Rose

I'm faced with this problem: how to embed Functional Specifications in RUP and export them from there in some XML format, preferably in DocBook. I'm a technical writer myself so please reply in English.

If side products will be needed in the export, open source is preferred but commercial software is ok too.
Docbooker Send private email
Wednesday, November 17, 2004
You need to take off and nuke Rose from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Wednesday, November 17, 2004
LOL, yeah, sounds like the perfect solution ;-)
Nemesis [µISV]
Thursday, November 18, 2004
Thank you ever so much, software designers.
Friday, November 19, 2004
Well, I souldn't quite describe Rose as a virus, more like a nasty meme that has infected various ill-informed decision-makers over the past few years.

As Ripley says, the nuclear option is the only way to be sure.
Nemesis [µISV]
Oh yes, and I am indeed a software designer, and have been for a long time. This is precisely why I sneer at Rose and make no apology for that.
Nemesis [µISV]
Insightful experience:

I had a software engineering instructor at a local grad school who is a senior developer at IBM (he came over from Rational in the merger).  I forget what he was SW Engr topic lecturing on, but one of the students asked whether Rational's software would handle that.

His reply: "I don't know.  I've never used Rational's software."

Considering he'd been with them for 4-5 years, I thought that was pretty telling that he'd never eaten the company dogfood.
Loud American
OK, I'm assuming by "Functional Spec" you are either
referring to a scenario-driven document using Use Cases or a
more traditional document based on IEEE 1002-1987 using
statements like "The system shall...".

In either case, Rose is VERY unsuitable. If you do use
Use Cases, remember that 95% of the effort in Use Cases is in writing the text, for which you are best off using a word processor. If you do need to capture some diagrams, you will better off drawing them in, say, Visio.  See Alistair Cockurn's book "Writing Effective Use
Cases" for more information.
Marc Send private email
Saturday, November 20, 2004
Follow-up to my post above:

IBM Rational also has a dedicated requirements product called ReqPro. Avoid using this if you can. You're better off using Word and Visio as mentioned above.
Marc Send private email
Saturday, November 20, 2004

Thanks Marc. I didn't know that Rose is so much hated among SW designers. Is the RUP as a process lousy as well?

I know that there's an open source tool for exporting database structures from Rose to DocBook. I just thought that there might have been a similar tool for func spex, as well.

Monday, November 22, 2004
Yes, Rational Rose is hated.  RUP is not liked.  The problem is that Rational and UML were created by three individuals with three different OO graphics philosophies.  UML was not made by a rational merging of their graphics, but by simply putting it all in there.

Thus, UML and Rose mandate stuff you don't need, make you input the same stuff multiple times, and never meet the promise of simplifying the development process.

See Scott Ambler's "Agile Modeling" for his approach toward getting something usable out of the RUP.
AllanL5 is on the money here. The Ambler book is a top resource. I can also recommend Craig Larman's "Agile and Iterative Development" for putting RUP in perspective with other iterative development practices.

Regarding your open source tool:

there are some ReqPro plugins at

and some Rose plugins at

since IBM bought Rational, there's been some interesting stuff going integrating the Rational product set with the Eclipse framework. I've had no direct experience myself, but it's worth browsing around at
Marc (Marcus Price)

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics