The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Use these icons in my shareware app?

http://icon-king.com/?p=15

This icon set is very popular in Linuxland. I've looked at the license and it's LGPL, which isn't "viral" like the GPL--especially if I don't alter the icons, which I can't do anyway (if I were an artist would I need a third-party icon set??).

Anyway: I like the look. And it's free...

Thoughts? Any reason to not use these?
Shareware Newbie
Sunday, January 29, 2006

Hi there,

There is a pretty good article on MSDN about how Microsoft designs their icons. Accepting that your not a graphic artist, perhaps you could use it as a set of criteria for evaluating the icon sets from third-parties.

The ones you referenced are pretty close to me. One thing that I've always noticed when working with icons and the like is that it can be a bit jarring when you change to a different set - so try to be consistent I guess!

- Mitch
Mitch Denny Send private email
Monday, January 30, 2006

The LGPL requires that the user should be able to replace the LPGL 'code' with a different version.  So in the context of icons, that means the user should be able to substitute a different set of icons (eg. a newer version of the icon set you're using).  In practice this means shipping the icons as separate files, or at most embedding them in a zip file.  If you embed them in your software, you'll be denying the user the rights granted to him by the LGPL.
Richie Hindle Send private email
Monday, January 30, 2006

> The LGPL requires that the user should be able to replace the LPGL 'code' with a different version.

Where does it say that?

Section 5 of the LGPL says something else
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/lgpl.html
Let's play Sudoku
Monday, January 30, 2006

If you don't intend to modify the icons and redistribute modified versions, you can include the LGPL icons in your app. Simply including the icons does not force you to put your application under any variation of GPL.

If you modify the icons, your modified icons become "derivative" work, which you must also redistribute under the terms of the LGPL.

If you include the icons unmodified in your app, you should include information under which license you are distributing the icons, since the icons remain under LGPL (*The icons used in this application are licensed according to the LGPL version x.y from XYZabc, available from http://example.com"). Pay attention to section 6 of the LGPL, especially this part:
"You must give prominent notice with each copy of the work that the Library is used in it and that the Library and its use are covered by this License. You must supply a copy of this License. If the work during execution displays copyright notices, you must include the copyright notice for the Library among them, as well as a reference directing the user to the copy of this License."

If possible (e.g. if shipping a , you could also include the *original* distribution archive containing the icons, complete with LICENSE and COPYING files, on your distribution media.

Dan.
Daniel Send private email
Monday, January 30, 2006

"Let's play Sudoku": The LGPL says: "If you link other code with the library, you must provide complete object files to the recipients, so that they can relink them with the library after making changes to the library and recompiling it."

In terms of icons, that means the user should be able to replace the icons you ship with his own versions.

(Ultimately, the license only means what the copyright holder wants it to mean.  If the copyright holder is OK with people linking his icons directly into their software then the license is irrelevant.  Talk to the author.)
Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Well, I tried the LGPL icons in a build for my wife. She couldn't figure out what the buttons did because the icons were so unfamiliar. The "delete file" icon, according to her, looked like a pop can.

I then tried these icons:

http://www.glyfx.com/free.html

They can *only* be used in closed-source apps. Plus, my wife was instantly able to figure out what to do. The delete button looks like a delete button.

Looks like I'll be using the glyfx.com icons. Maybe I'll even buy a full set if my apps takes off.
Shareware Newbie

Shareware Newbie: "They can *only* be used in closed-source apps"

Weird... where does it say that, just out of interest?

In the license. They can only be used as compiled resources. I'm assuming they want to preclude redistribution.
Shareware Newbie

Visual Studio 2005 comes with a new icon and bitmap set that you can use for free in your apps. They've updated all of them to be the latest versions that you see in XP and in Office applications. You have to look hard to find them but they are there.

Look under:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\VS2005ImageLibrary
Turtle Rustler

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics