The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

TRIZ: design through contradictions?

I wonder how many here heard about a Russian technique called TRIZ:
http://www.triz-journal.com/archives/2001/06/d/index.htm

It is all about using time-tested principles (design patterns?) to solve enigneering constraints like size vs weight or time to produce vs quality.
Rubinelli
Friday, January 27, 2006

I've often thought about what it might take to implement something like TRIZ for software.  I know it has been an extremely powerful tool in solving certain mechanical design problems I've been involved in. 

I think it does bear some resemblance to Design Patterns, but I think it is more powerful because it lets you be more specific about your objectives.
my 2 cents Send private email
Friday, January 27, 2006

I've never seen a good description of TRIZ that made any sense to me. I've looked at several of the author's books.
The description on the above web page makes no sense to me. 

It reminds me vaguely of Scientology: a bunch of obscure, specialized vocabulary and a vague sense that they're on to something, but I have no idea what that "something" is.

The best metholologies (like the Scientific Method, the Troubleshooting Method) are so simple (yet effective) that there's no mystique about them to generate interest and no money to be made in promoting them. So, they are largely ignored.

But,then Zen Buddhism suffers the same problem: obscure explanations. However, if you hunt around, you can find Zen in Plain English. I've not found that for TRIZ.
Mr. Analogy {Shrinkwrap µISV} Send private email
Sunday, January 29, 2006

"I've never seen a good description of TRIZ that made any sense to me. I've looked at several of the author's books.
The description on the above web page makes no sense to me."

I've never used TRIZ, but my limited exposure to it comes from the American Supplier Institute:

http://www.amsup.com/TRIZ/

My "feeling" is it is somewhat analogous to design patterns and finding a similar problem that has already been solved.

BTW - I do not know of anyone that has come up with anything using it.  That either means it's 1) a well-kept secret, 2) unworkable or 3) not used very widely.
Mike Stephenson Send private email
Monday, January 30, 2006

IMHO the biggest problem with TRIZ is how broad it is. When a technique is used for everything between semiconductor manufacturing and city planning it ends up sounding too vague and esoteric for the uninitiated, as Mr. Analogy noted. Still, it sounds like an interesting way to kickstart a brainstorm.

I would buy a book that applied TRIZ to software, if for no other reason to see how some of the principles would work. How do you change a class' color?
Rubinelli Send private email
Monday, January 30, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics