The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

RSS AND WEBLOGS

I am dumb struck by the elequance of your articles.You use RSS and weblogs. I too have problems "use RSS it's brilliant" and weblogs are just so cool. What!

So I click on RSS and up pops a load of "junk"  <title>Joel on Software</title>
  <link>http://www.joelonsoftware.com</link>
  <description>Painless Software Management</description>
Hmm. I guess I need a bit of software to run this. An hour later I have it running and I can now look at the BBC news but hell I could do that anyway.

Weblogs, why do I need weblogs, beats me perhaps I am getting old.
Chris Rainey Send private email
Friday, January 27, 2006

In my opinion, RSS is really only useful for keeping track of when a page changes. When you get large numbers of information sources you don't want to have to go and check each one everyday to see if it has changed.

I can't understand the Outlook style RSS readers because they homogenise the text effectively removing many of the visual signposts and cues I use to navigate around the web.
Matt Breckon Send private email
Friday, January 27, 2006

Well RSS isn't intended to be the final form we read..
but at least it (like HTML) is readable even if you happen on the code..
I'm thinking of creating a replacement for Verilog and VHDL from XML.. maybe we can call it Hardware Description Markup Language.. (HDML?)

I much prefer using RSS over registering for email updates at each website I use, and I'm still using my.yahoo.com to capture all those updates..

If you have a yahoo homepage its not hard to add RSS to your homepage and keep up to date with your favorite sites (Joel's has been added to mine.. ) and it can sit right next to your stock prices..
and there are better "aggregators" out there.. Firefox for instance.. as long as you use the same PC all the time..)
Enjoy
Jonathan Send private email
Sunday, January 29, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics