The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Elegance (re: What Is Design?)

I think the article stops short regarding the impact of good design. What would you think of an mp3 player that held less music than it's competitors, had no battery slot for when the battery wore down, required an expensive connector, cost quite a bit more, and only integrated with the store provided by the manufacturer, came with crappy headphones, and was the color of a kitchen appliance?
Robert Sayre
Thursday, January 26, 2006
Damn, you've read chapter 3! And I haven't even written it!
Joel Spolsky Send private email
Donald Norman: "Attactive Things Work Better"
metamerist Send private email
Impact of design is interesting; The MP3 player you speak about is one of the more expensive on the market; and I think its success is that it taps into other markets, not just the tech, such as the the fashion market. It is now fashionable to own an iPod, the advertising is cool; and in fashion so what if it costs more, you just got to have it (same can be argued about the tech but most tech buyers are well informed).

I think the economics of the success of a product that costs more and has less than it competitors (battery, music provider etc) really comes down to the look, feel and quality of the product. Even with these flaws that you mention it still manages to be a huge success - out of interest does anyone know what their market share is?

So is it great design, great marketing, right place at the right time or a combination of the three?

On a side note; after holding out for as long as I could; I have just purchsed an MP3 player - never guess which one ;-) The most impressed about the entire package was the box it came in - work of art!
Dave Barker Send private email
Friday, January 27, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics