The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Lucrative designs

Find only 3 things that people are willing to pay for. If you can't implement all the three, it's not a problem, as long as you implement at least one of them, which is enough to find your niche among people. If later on you can improve things, maybe version 2.0 or 3.0 will tackle the remaining issues and then, only then, you will need to worry about all the other things that people care about.

Isn't that easy to accomplish? To be able to focus on only one thing that people want and deliver it? To me it seems easy and accomplishable. So, just like you can break down huge problems in smaller problems to able to tackle them, you can break down huge design goals and tackle some of them and deliver the project.

I read the bit on the "Morts, Elvis and Einsteins" [1], and I couldn't agree more with the difficulty of delivering a development environment that suits all of them. And it made me realize why I found so hard to work with some environments, but even after I decided to create my own environment, I could understand why it's so hard to create it in the first place. It's like the cake and the pie -- one is sweety and the other is salty (generally, I guess).

Maybe people should worry more about lucrative designs than with designs in general, hence the emphasis on "cheap" that Joel put in the article. I can only imagine expensive designs when people are selling a Brand together with it.

[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert/archive/2004/03/02/82840.aspx
Lost in the jungle
Thursday, January 26, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics