The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Patterns of Interactions

You constantly work with your environment. Let it be computer, people, surrouding,society, circumstances, body, thoughts, your nature etc. If you observe, some patterns are established automatically about your interaction with your environment. There are times when you establish the patterns yourself. Often it comes as result of experience and application of knowledge.

Simple example:
When you start your day, you might need tea or coffee in the morning. You make arrangement for getting the same. You might prepare it yourself, or your spouse/mother makes for you, or you get from vending machine, or you pick up from a coffee shop. This is a pattern that you establish for interaction with your environment of 'mood'.

You must have designed various patterns like this in your life at some points.

How do you design the patterns of interactions?
LikeMe Send private email
Tuesday, November 16, 2004
what you described is possibly a "habit".  which is formed over time. 

am I alone in not understanding what you're asking?
Glen Rosenblatt Send private email
Habit is different thing compared to something that you can design.
LikeMe Send private email

Humans are 90% pain & pleasure automata: we try to maximize the pleasure while minimizing the pain.

Of course with humans nothing is straightforward, not even above-mentioned 90% P&P. For example, we are capable of putting up with extra pain for a long-term pleasure gain (we don't get stuck when we hit a local maximum).

The rest of 10% in us is non-computable - a completely different ballpark.

So when that caffeine withdrawal headache sets in, I go to the nearest Starbucks and get a double shot espresso. Or I'm going to put up with the pain and cut on the coffee thing regardless, just because.

A good pattern of interaction should minimize the pain while maximizing the pleasure.
 Well put.
{A good pattern of interaction should minimize the pain while maximizing the pleasure.)
Wednesday, November 17, 2004
If you're asking "How can we nake 'Design Patterns' for everyday interactions?" I think the answer is that human beings do that all the time. It's one of our fundamental things. We learn from others, mostly by simply copying their behaviour. As parents haven't you often found yourselves automatically responding to unexpected situations by doing what your parents did to you.

In other situations too we find patterns that work, and then try to apply them indifferent situations. Sometimes we find that works and others not. To address the above example, North Americans often drop into the morning coffee pattern of stopping at a drive-thru on the way to work. If they end up moving to Europe the pattern will break down, because drive-thru coffee shops are rare, and because a coffee will cost you five bucks.
David Clayworth
Wednesday, November 17, 2004
haha.  Walking around the DC Metro (subway) system for a while made me think of this a couple years back.

Life is a giant routing problem.  Just like in traffic routing, there are cost, speed, and reliability tradeoffs that must be made.  It's getting an output you want by optimizing and modifying a series of variables (some dependent, some independent) within a given range.

Have you seen those robot arms that balance a broomstick by it's handle?  It's the same thing, just a difference in number and scope of the variables.
KC Send private email
Thursday, November 18, 2004
That would be a fine theory if it wasn't that a) some of the variables you have no control over b) evn some of the ones you have some control over are highly non-linear, making them hard to optimize c) some of the variables you can predict have decades between cause and effect and d) working out where you want to go is one of the hard parts.
David Clayworth
Thursday, November 18, 2004
An interesting way of looking at things but I do thing your are fitting a habit into a pattern definition. This isn't such a bad thing to figure out a scenario in which someone will interact with your system.

But patterns break down in tracking a real person because of the exception mostly being the norm. For instance, there is an accident in front of the coffee shop you usually get your coffee at this requires you to take another approach to your morning coffee. There is a decision to be made in most of the interactions in life. Decisions are the things that could be applied in a process and the process of life could become a pattern. But is the pattern reusable, is it truly a pattern if it repeats 30-60% of the time? Is the structure able to produce a pattern since it is based on an environment you have no control over?

Software patterns work because the environment is a know quantity. Also patterns geared toward human interaction is also know since you control the environment the human is interacting with (ie. the screen of the application). So an interesting concept but I think the pattern would boil down to a specific scenario of a person's life.
Daniel Marchant Send private email
Monday, December 13, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics