The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

vmware

wow, how together have these guys got it? I used this prog about 4 years ago, it was good then but I remember it was a serious PITA to install and setup. Now ... it's a cinch. Amazing product.

(I bet they know about pointers too .... ;-)
revert my buffer
Wednesday, January 18, 2006

VmWare and VirtualPC are both excellent products. But let's try to keep from having a debate about which one is best.

Let's just say that if you are a developer and you haven't started using either of these products for testing yet that you are really missing out. I keep telling my boss how much time and money I'm saving the company by using virtual environments. And someday he is going to really catch on and give me a raise for it. ;) I honestly don't know how I ever survived without these tools.
Turtle Rustler

Oh and by the way, I'm installing Oracle today to do some testing for a client. VmWare to the rescue! I would NEVER consider installing Oracle on my development machine. With VmWare I can install, test, and toss the results all without touching my precious development machine.

Hooray!
Turtle Rustler

Coding Horror had a good article about using virtual machines the other day.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000491.html

I have VMWare 4.  And Virtual PC (one for home, other at work).  They each have their pros/cons.  But the service they provide is very useful and saves a ton of time.
Eric D. Burdo Send private email

I bugged my old boss (who was a good tech guy) for about a year regarding vmware.  He finally broke down and installed it on his laptop so he could test something that needed Server 2003.  A week later he handed out boxes of the latest version to everyone who worked under him.  A month later we were running a GSX server onsite.
Grant

This is indeed an excellent development and test methodology.  I use QEMU on my Linux machine to host several version of Windows OS (all legal of course) as well as the new Solaris 10 x86 ... I can test for platform independence without leaving my environment:)
Steve Moyer Send private email

I bought VMWare about a year back and wish I'd bought 10 years back. It is indispensable if you are doing software development/testing.
Neville Franks Send private email

I personally find "vmplayer" (http://www.vmware.com/products/player/) with the browser appliance a godsend in dealing with spyware, especially when it comes to non-technical relatives.
Redscowl Bluesingsky Send private email

I started using virtualization technology back in 1982 (not a typo), before some of you were born I guess. We used IBM's VM (Virtual Machine) software to create vitual machines in which to test operating system (MVS) patches. We're talking mainframes here.

It was a brilliant idea then, and it's a brilliant idea now. Just remember that it wasn't invented last year!
Spider Send private email
Thursday, January 19, 2006

I've never used VMWare before, but after hearing about it on here i think i shall be evaluating it. Currently I use an old p3 laptop were I have to keep on reinstalling xp to test my software.

Is it possible with VMWare to install say Xp or win2000, and then take a snapshot of that installation, so once I have finished testing my software I can restore the snapshot to a fresh install, or would I have to reinstall the os again.

Sorry for the basic question :-)

Steve
Steve Haunts Send private email

> Is it possible with VMWare to install say Xp or win2000, and then take a snapshot of that installation

Yes
Syd Egan Send private email

Cool. Looks like im going to be buying that then. I'm going to eval it at lunch time :-)

And you can also do that with Virtual PC.
trollop

> And you can also do that with Virtual PC.

Yes
Syd Egan Send private email

I was born in 1984 Spider!! :D

I bet your older than my parents :P
Dan

Steve,

Be sure to evaluate the product you're most likely to purchase (or all of them). I downloaded and evaluated VMware WS and played around with the snapshots and cloning features. We then decided to purchase the GSX server product, which "supported snapshots". I mistakenly assumed that snapshots in WS are the same as snapshots in GSX...they're not. Wishing I had purchased WS instead now...
Former COBOL Programmer

Hi Former COBOL Programmer,

It is the workstation version that I will be evaluating. Was hoping to try it this lunchtime, but got sidetracked, so will take a look later.

Steve... just be sure to understand that you will also need licensed copies of the guest OS. For example, If you intend to run a virtual instance OF WinXP under VmWare ON WinXP, then you actually need two licensed copies of WinXP (one as the guest OS and one as the host OS). If you are a Linux user then the cost of extra licensed copies of the guest OS is often less or nonexistent. You probably already know this but I wanted to point it out just in case. This issue trips up some first time users of virtualization products.
Turtle Rustler

Thats a good point, I already have licensed versions of 2000 and win98, so all I will need to get is an extra license of XP pro.

Can you do development and builds inside of VMWare?
Nick Hebb Send private email
Friday, January 20, 2006

yes. you can do pretty much anything.
revert my buffer
Friday, January 20, 2006

"Can you do development and builds inside of VMWare?"

As long as your host PC is fast enough. I tried running a Beta of Visual Studio 2005 under VirtualPC on a P4 2.4GHz with 1MB RAM. It ran OK but I wouldn't really want to use it as my daily development machine. But then again, VS 2005 can be a real dog.
Turtle Rustler
Friday, January 20, 2006

"I tried running a Beta of Visual Studio 2005 under VirtualPC on a P4 2.4GHz with 1MB RAM."

Dude, you should upgrade. Most modern computers require *at least* 8MB of RAM to function properly.
BenjiSmith Send private email
Friday, January 20, 2006

@Turtle Rustler: Amen to that! I did make that mistake a couple of months ago (installing Oracle just to test/port something to use that DB). The thing installed so slow (on a P4 3.2GHz) I thought it was crashed after like 10 minutes of it pegging the CPU at 100% so I "end tasked" it, and tried again only to find out that's part of the normal install process... So i gave it forever to finally install. The barebones install, no samples installed, without having made a single connection yet, etc. used over 300MB of RAM! (More than SQL Server 2005 Std+Express+2000 Dev Ed+Mobile + PostgreSQL + MySQL use all at once). It made my PC totally unresponsive (you think VS2005 is heavy? try installing Oracle!), etc. Ended up having to format (wouldn't uninstall properly, everything was a mess). What a waste of time. At least running it inside VMWare won't mess up my dev PC anymore, and it makes it easy to not have the overhead when not needed, and easy to "uininstall" it (just delete the VM).
Someone
Saturday, January 21, 2006

"VmWare and VirtualPC are both excellent products. But let's try to keep from having a debate about which one is best."

Whether better overall or not, VMware supports USB and VPC doesn't, which makes it worthwhile for us to buy even though we get VPC with MSDN.

And the cool tools list includes VMware Player and the DiskMount utility to provide drive letter access to files in a virtual file...
rkj Send private email
Saturday, January 21, 2006

Interesting that the install of VMware 5.5 itself is like that, seemingly hanging at about 95% and staying there forever.

It took me a borked install to realize I should just leave it there, apparently doing nothing, every once in a LONG while accessing the disk. It does complete after about 30 minutes, though.
Mr. Powers Send private email
Sunday, January 22, 2006

>VmWare and VirtualPC are both excellent products. But let's try to keep from having a debate about which one is best.

But can someone tell me the key differences?
Andy Brice Send private email
Sunday, January 22, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics