The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Can any company besides a game company get away with this page?

http://www.activision.com/en_US/old_browser/old_browser.html

I thought this is probably the worst example of web design before realizing that turning away people from their website probably doesn't significantly impact Activision's business.
Crimson Send private email
Monday, November 15, 2004

Designers hate old browsers.
www.MarkTAW.com Send private email
Tuesday, November 16, 2004

OK, that is some of the crappiest browser identification I've seen. I tried it with the latest versions of both Opera and Firefox, and both end up on that page. This clearly isn't about designers hating old browsers, this is sheer stupidity and incompetence.
JLaiho Send private email

The worst thing is not that they can't be bothered to work out browser versions but that they think there's such a word as 'lastest'.

Lastest comes just behind 'extentions' in my category of crime against the english language, the penalty for which should be excision of their genetic material.
Simon Lucy Send private email

I suspect you only get to that page if you attempt to load the home page and you have an old browser.

It works fine on my IE6 if you go to the home page. I wonder how old a version you need to be using to get to that page ?

Assuming you don't require the most recent version, it seems like a good approach, given the overhead of maintaining several versions of a site.
Nemesis [µISV]

"I suspect you only get to that page if you attempt to load the home page and you have an old browser."

Wrong, as an earlier poster already mentioned. You get to that page if your browser identifies itself as something else than IE/Netscape version xx.

FireFox 1.0 goes to that page. Granted, if you follow 'the continue without upgrading your browser' link the site works fine (I guess, since I'm not gonna bother to see it with 'their supported browsers', I will never really know ;)

"Assuming you don't require the most recent version, it seems like a good approach, given the overhead of maintaining several versions of a site."

Bullshit.

"OK, that is some of the crappiest browser identification I've seen. I tried it with the latest versions of both Opera and Firefox, and both end up on that page. This clearly isn't about designers hating old browsers, this is sheer stupidity and incompetence."

No. It's just laziness. The designers/web masters/HTML droids just couldn't be bothered to google for a better sniffer script. Nor could they be bothered to actually test their site with any other browser than what happened to be handy. Nor could they hunt for links to any other browser download pages...

It sort of makes you wonder whether their real products are treated with the same kind of attitude. Not that anybody would really care though...
Juha Send private email

Oh, forgot the other option.

It might have been 10.30 friday night when they actually got their flashy graphics etc. properly line up and ready. That's happened to me as well, and then most people tend to take some shortcuts...

Note to self. Try to refrain from harsh critique when you know you don't have all the facts. Sorry, I'll go away now.
Juha Send private email

Not only do they exclude the proportion of the world that doesn't use their browser of choice, but when you go to the next page and are to click where you live you fing that all of South America, the Middle East and Africa has no link at all!
Stephen Jones Send private email

Jesus, you guys complain a lot.
Jacob

Can you guys imagine the day when web designers demand you get a $600 nVidia/ATI card to check out their site?

Hmmm.. those days are probably coming hard and fast, hope my trigger finger is fast.
Li-fan Chen Send private email

I'm on FireFox 1.0.

If the site don't work, I say screw-em.
TheGeezer

Just wait until the kids get XAML.
Dennis Forbes Send private email

A couple of websites we design and host will divert users to similar pages if they lack 128-bit encryption. For those sites, it is a customer requirement.

At a past company I worked for, they did a much stupider version of that page. You had to have ie5. And when folks upgraded to ie5.5, they were diverted to the "your browser sucks" page.

>Can any company besides a game company get away with this page?
Microsoft routinely gets caught doing similar things to people using firefox/lynx and other non-ie browsers. So the answer is "yes."
Peter
Thursday, November 18, 2004

Ah, but Microsoft is also a game company.  They have (I'm told, haven't played it) a rather nice flight simulator, they bankrolled Halo and Halo 2, and who could forget solitare, freecell, minesweeper, hearts, etc.  Try again.
Joel Coehoorn
Sunday, November 28, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics