The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

VCD Library

Hi, sorry to post this kind of low-level request here, but I am running out of options.

We have a software product (Windows) that in the end generates JPEG files.  I need a way to programmatically take these image files and create a Slideshow VCD with them suitable for set-top viewing.

We do have the JPEG -> MPEG still conversion done.  However, I am having real trouble finding somehting that will allow us to get the MPEGs into VCD format properly.  Just so you know, here is what we have checked out so far:

- - We could possibly shell out to it to generate the BIN/CUE files, but will still need to burn them.  Shelling out to an exe is far less desirable than ActiveX or DLL or static library approach.
- Magic VCD Burner (C/C++) from - this one actually works but the whole site seems to be a ghost town.  They don't respond to submissions from the contact page and their ordering links go nowhere.  If these guys were/are legit we would gladly pay for the control, but we can't.

We have also gone down a few other rabbit trails here and there to no end.

I know this can't be THAT hard to do since there are many, many shareware and commercial apps that do this kind of thing.  We must just be missing somehthing obvious.  We have good low-level C\C++ coders available on staff but we would rather not re-invent the wheel as this is not the central feature of out software.

I will be very grateful to anyone who can offer some direction here...
Tuesday, January 17, 2006
Well, no one else gave any suggestions, so here is my 2 cents?

What about the DVD authoring software that comes with your burner. The last 3 DVD burners I purchased came with the ulead DVD stuff. I STRONGLY remember that all 3 of the burners came with the DVD authoring, and that software allowed you to create a VCD in addition to DVD format disks.

Further, The software had a wizard, and the ability to take your pictures. and turn them into a movie. I know this..since about a 2 years ago I make a DVD of wedding pictures for my friend. The wizard took my pictures (jpeg) that I copied from my digital camera..and you would choose a transition. and let it go. I seem to recall that you were limited to 100 pictures per chapter.

So, go out and purchase one of those cheap duel layer DVD burner for $50, and just make one comes with the software.

If you could also simply purchase the DVD authoring software. and a good many of them have the ability to produce VCD. Thy all had the ability to you’re your photos and produce a movie out of them….

They have a free tiral that you can download. and as far as I can remember, it works for 30 days…so, give one a try…

Most of the products are less then $100….

Here is the ulead link:

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Albert D. Kallal Send private email
Thursday, January 19, 2006
Thanks for the feedback.  Unfortunately I am looking for something that can be done in code as part of out software.  I need our customers to be able to create VCDs from within our program.  Thanks anyhow for taking the time to respond.  Always appreciated and good to hear from a fellow Canuck.
Friday, January 20, 2006
I have a feeling the TMPegEnc guy may have an library for this. Google Tmpegenc for more info
... Send private email
Sunday, January 22, 2006
KayJay Send private email
Monday, January 23, 2006
Good tip on the Starburn SDK.  Will definitely check it out.  THANKS!
Wednesday, January 25, 2006
We use PrimoBurner which has been fantastic.  We only use it for Video DVD burning so I'm not even sure if it supports VCD.  It's a bit pricy as well, but it is royalty free.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006
primo stuff is good but totally overpriced thus unusable

Monday, February 13, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics