The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Copernic Desktop Search

I use Copernic Desktop Search at work and after many weeks of use, today I noticed something -- this is the first non-trivial-production-quality app that I've seen that doesn't have any help -- no help menu, no help files, no help documentation on their web-site either for this particular product. Perhaps I didn't look properly, but I was amazed at the concept -- imagine an app so trivially simple to use that it doesn't need any help documentation!
Thursday, January 05, 2006
Even if there was Help no one would read it. :(
Neville Franks Send private email
Friday, January 06, 2006
No Help?
Mine (v1.6) has a Help tab - goes to
Friday, January 06, 2006
I took a look again and didn't find any help tab in my running copy of CDS. Then I looked closer though the options settings and noticed I had turned off the "Help" button :-). My bad. Even so, I think it's an amazing idea that an app does not need any help to use.
Friday, January 06, 2006
I was skeptical, so I went over to the help page on the web and looked at a screenshot.

I do have to admit that's one very nice interface; the only problem I have with it is that it also looks very busy - which is probably exactly why they have an option to hide the help button.
Anonymous Coward
Friday, January 06, 2006
"looked closer though the options settings and noticed I had turned off the "Help" button :-). "

Yes, but the help file tells you how to turn the help button back on.

Mr. Analogy {Shrinkwrap µISV} Send private email
Friday, January 06, 2006
Did you try F1?
Developer #13
Friday, January 06, 2006
Its still my favourite search engine.

To get help: In the task tray on the bottom right, right click on the copernic icon and choose help from the menu.

Positive points:
Easy to use
Not a memory hog

Negative points:
If you have a search within a folder or subfolder and then close the search window, then reopen it, it resets the search term but not the folder, so it attempts to load every search item in the folder and subfolders.

Some problems searching for c++ terms, it does not like non-alphanumeric characters in search strings, tends to remove them.
pault Send private email
Monday, January 09, 2006
A past version of some of my software had a help menu with 1 item:

"The buttons do what they say they do :)"

And the controls all had tooltips.

I got a few emails from people that laughed at it & thought it was cute.
Ryan Smyth Send private email
Tuesday, January 10, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics