The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

UI Design Rant

The address bar font in IE and firefox is sooooo small.

My elder relatives have lots of trouble entering a url, constantly missing dots and slashes and the occaisional letter. The font is too small for them to see whats gone wrong.

Is there some way to make it bigger that I don't know of?
Kim
Thursday, January 05, 2006

Kim,

The fonts in the address bars (on Windows, at least) can be made bigger by increasing the system font size.  Right click on the desktop, hit Properties, change to the Appearance tab, and use the Font size combo box.

Unfortunately, doing this will affect a lot of fonts in the system, which doesn't help if you only want to change the address bars.
jbf
Thursday, January 05, 2006

I think - but I may be wrong - that the original intent was that you'd only have to type in a starting address, and then subsequently, click your way through your entire surfing session (including the use of back buttons).  Hence the de-emphasis on the address bar itself.

In a pinch, you could create a home page or portal (and save it locally) with the size font that they want, complete with text boxes that pass/execute the parameters and separate, dedicated links to the places they visit frequently.
Anonymous Coward
Friday, January 06, 2006

The Firefox interface is built on a technology called XUL. Various aspects of the interface can be tweaked by changing the style sheet. Increasing the size of the address bar font involves probably adding a line of CSS to a file somewhere. Try posting your question to MozillaZine forums or browsing the Firefox tips sites.
Aapo Laitinen Send private email
Wednesday, January 11, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics