The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Hobby project

Hi, a hobby project of mine for windows called "Liquid", which runs animations/presentations/games from xml, downloaded from anywhere on the web or locally, can nowadays be downloaded from almost every free software archive there is on the web as freeware.
(Google: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=play+xml+animations)
I'm planning to release it as open source for anyone to improve on and/or use as they see fit.

Any ideas on how to do that exactly? :-)
mikael bergkvist Send private email
Thursday, January 05, 2006

Decide just how much "ownership" of the source code you want, how badly you'd want to defend that ownership, and then select an open source license that reflects your feelings.

http://www.opensource.org/site_index.php has a pretty comprehensive list of licenses - scroll down the site index until you get to the actual list.

You may want to do a few various google searches for comparisons of the licenses that sound the best to you.

Once you have done that, sourceforge.net and freshmeat.net are (or were) fairly popular places for hosting source code and binaries.
Anonymous Coward

Hey,

I have been watching methods for search engine positing for a while now, and do you feel that by getting people to search for that set of keywords in google, and then clicking on your site it will help your seo?

I am just curious if you have any data that supports that.

Otherwise you would have just provided us with a URL...right?

Thanks.
Joel S Send private email

"Hey,

I have been watching methods for search engine positing for a while now, and do you feel that by getting people to search for that set of keywords in google, and then clicking on your site it will help your seo?

I am just curious if you have any data that supports that.

Otherwise you would have just provided us with a URL...right?

Thanks."

I wish I could understand the thinking behind your post.. I simply wanted to show that I was asking an honest question by showing this hobby-project does exists, nothing more.
Could you explain better the thinking behind this question?
For the record, there are almost no hits on the site, perhaps 2-5 a day a total, google included, the software is downloaded from the software-archives instead, and the site is of no concern to me or my company, there is not even any info on my company to be found there.
It's just there as a service for those archives that link back to us, because it would be bad form not to.
Friday, January 06, 2006

"I have been watching methods for search engine positing for a while now"

..If you say so.. then you should know that this site ranks high using these specific keywords simply because of all the software archives that are linking to it.. some 1000 sites or so.
There have been no other 'methods' used.
Friday, January 06, 2006

I'd suggest releasing the project via one of the open source repositories. sourceforge.net, freshmeat.net or the like. This provides a 'structured' environment and a central location for interested parties to find the project. Anything  else, and your project is just lost in the web noise.
Kevin Routley
Saturday, January 14, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics