The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

JUCE Anyone?

Has any one used JUCE framework for C++? It seems really cool and well written.
Aydin Sakar Send private email
Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I understand that noone here has used or even heard of Juce.

I am looking for a good C++ framework for a long time. I know there are a lot of frameworks around, and I have checked most f them. In some way other most of them didn't seem to me the "Right" one. Then I found JUCE: http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juce/ I am reading the sample application and the codebase for the time being, and very much surprised with what I saw. It's finally the "Right" thing. I was about to develop my own framework just because I couldn't find a good enough one. Now, JUCE also lacks some of the components I need for my pplication, but it has a very solid foundation on which I can develop my components. I just had to share this JUCE thing with someone and I am still surprised why nobody has ever heard of it. Maybe the reason can be the developer (Jules) is british and has no blog or marketing. He is the writer of a Music program "Traction", and that's all I know of him.
Sunday, January 08, 2006

JUCE looks great, thanks for the post.
_
Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Yes, it is impressive. What me prevented from getting into it, was the partly peculiar and unusual behaviour of the GUI (try the demo). Many mouseclicks and keyhits don't work as you expect. It is not bad "per se", but you have to want it really or to find out how to tweak the interface.
Christof Send private email
Thursday, January 12, 2006

What unusual behaviour? I think mouse events are pretty standard. It has a non standard look-and-feel but very easy to tweak around
Friday, January 13, 2006

Doubleclick on the titlebar, Alt+F4, Tab, Arrowkeys,... I don't remember exactly the list of inconsistencies.
Also different: the antialiasing of the screenfonts makes them a bit too much blured (IMO). A matter of taste.
However, it feels like a mature and sophisticated project and perfect, as long as you like the look and feel and as long as you are satisfied with the included components.
Christof Send private email
Saturday, January 14, 2006

I'm using Juce since a few months, and I only had good surprises with it.
Very nice design, losts of usefull stuff inside, especially if your application is multimedia-related and cross platform, also Jules is very active and updates frequently.

Sunday, January 29, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics