The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

building a REST server from scratch

I just got a new job, and my first task is to build a REST server for an existing web application. I have my own ideas on how to implement this, but am interested in hearing how others would approach this.
taking a rest
Tuesday, January 03, 2006
Not sure I understand the question - what's wrong with Apache httpd?
Wednesday, January 04, 2006
Having slept on it, the question is unclear. Do you mean create a REST API for your domain? Do you mean implement REST  requests?
son of parnas
i'd use a switch statement in a php/perl/ruby/whatever page.
not your everyday knob
I'd think dynamic function/method dispatch would be cleaner than a giant switch statement.
Almost H. Anonymous Send private email
Wouldn't any fully-HTTP compliant server (e.g., Apache, IIS) qualify as a "REST server"?

A RESTful application is basically one that uses HTTP as the appliction protocol (exposing all APIS as URI-identifiable resources with GET/POST/DELETE/PUT methods that return appropriate HTTP status codes) instead of just using HTTP as a transport protocol (e.g., classic SOAP, where everything is done via POST to an "endpoint").
Mark Cidade Send private email
Thursday, January 05, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics