The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Seeking articles comparing GUI toolkit approaches

Is there such an article? It would be useful to see a set of comparisons of approaches to common things.

In particular and for example:

1 Different approaches to tracking the mouse when the button is down (some APIs use callback routines, some require spin-looping with or without threading, some have no support)

2 Different approches to panes/groups of items within a window. Does each element see 0,0 relative only to its own group, how are clicks passed along and focus managed, etc.

I know that every framework has this documented but I am hoping for an article that compares approaches and looks at pros and cons of each design decision.
Scott
Monday, January 02, 2006

RM
Monday, January 02, 2006

Why are you looking for it?

For any reason I can think of (learning, designing a new sysetm, making a decision about which toolkit to use), no such summary can do any justice.

You'll be much better informed by looking at the internals and examples of doing said things in said toolkits.
Ori Berger Send private email
Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Haven't seen such comparisons.

This probably will help somehow:
The GUI Toolkit, Framework Page
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/7184/guitool.html

I personally have written last year
Harmonia GUI Framework for D language:

http://www.terrainformatica.com/wiki/pmwiki.php?pagename=Harmonia.Harmonia

This is the only GUI toolkit I know which use
very flexible and powerful capturing/bubbling event
propagation schema.
Andrew Fedoniouk
Tuesday, January 10, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics