The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Something that has always puzzled me

Why don't controls inside groupboxes have to be children of the groupbox?

Friday, December 30, 2005

Which interface library?
Simon Lucy Send private email
Saturday, December 31, 2005

Becauuse they operate as children of the dialog, not the groupbox. If they were children of the groupbox they would be more difficult to program.
Anon and anon
Saturday, December 31, 2005

I suspect you are confusing the name of the control with its functionality.  A group box control, in Win32, is simply a rectangular enclsure with a lable.  It has no function other than to identify an area in the dialog window. 

However, since a group box control is created as a window, one could connect child windows to it.  There might be a situation in which its reasonable to do but I haven't seen one since I started programming windows fifteen years ago. I agree that it would generally over complicate the code for a complex dialog.

In the strange land of API's, name/function conflicts are all too common.  It helps to be a student of Alice in Wonderland.  That way, you will learn to identify what a thing is.  Then to use it as it actually is rather than what it is said to be.
Lionell K. Griffith Send private email
Sunday, January 01, 2006

Come out of the XML fog my son, you've been playing in the XML sandbox too long and now your intellectual eyes have burned up!
Brice Richard Send private email
Sunday, January 01, 2006

because the guys that designed the UI library don't believe in abstraction.
geezer
Saturday, January 07, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics