The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

FireFox Extension

Does anyone have a really good example of a generic FireFox extension developed in Delphi?
Joel S Send private email
Wednesday, December 28, 2005

I don't think it's possible to develop a Firefox extension in anything but XUL and JavaScript. See http://roachfiend.com/archives/2004/12/08/how-to-create-firefox-extensions/ .
comp.lang.c refugee

Thanks. That is very informative.
Joel Send private email

That isn't entirely correct.

Firefox extensions can be built with XUL/Javascript as well as C++ through XPCOM.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xpcom/index.html
Andrey Butov Send private email

I didn't know that.

However, it seems to me that a C++ extension would need to be recompiled for each platform that FF runs on. Aside from being a PITA for developers, it would complicate the download process quite a bit.
comp.lang.c refugee

Agreed, but it does allow developers to sell addon libraries without exposing all of their code.
Andrey Butov Send private email
Thursday, December 29, 2005

There is an XPCOM -> DCOM interface around somewhere and that could be used to build extensions.  Alternatively, build an XPCOM to Delphi connector.
Simon Lucy Send private email
Saturday, December 31, 2005

My understanding is that you can use XPCOM to write the a datamodel or a complex processing library for your extension, but that the UI must be developed in XUL/JS.

But I could be wrong...
BenjiSmith Send private email
Monday, January 02, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics