The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

regex

Anyone knows and regular expression, which would match rtf tags in the text ?
It should be smthng close to this:
({\\)(.+?)(}+)|(\\)(.+?)(\b)
but obviously I'm missing something
Thanx
wednesday
Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I'm having trouble parsing your proposed regexp myself... I think it would be a challenge to do this using a regexp, because keeping track of matching nested braces is not a good task for a regexp. Maybe try filtering the input in a sequence of steps? It depends on what your goal is.

You could try using Visual Regexp to test ideas:

http://laurent.riesterer.free.fr/regexp/

You could generate some RTF (for example, by opening a WordPad file in an ordinary text editor), then try out different regexps using Visual Regexp, and see how to match various patterns.

I'm not really the best person to answer this, but I saw that no one had responded, so I thought I'd toss in my 2 cents. :D
EKB Send private email
Friday, December 23, 2005

thank you, i know, no one responded. I know regular expressions aren't the most popular topic, but i was raised on language theory, turing machines (still suck at it), so i always thought that's the base, every geek has a say...well i guess not....

peter
monday
Monday, December 26, 2005

> i always thought that's the base, every geek has a say...well i guess not....

So did I! Oh, well...
EKB Send private email
Tuesday, December 27, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics