The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

uISV needs an evaluation of product redesign of AJAX Tool

Izenda Ad Hoc is a AJAX enhanced lightweight reporting component for ASP.NET. 

After getting some great feedback from the JoS community, We've revamped our UI.  I'd like to say thanks to everyone that took the time to look at our technology as it was evolving.  I just put up the live demo of the latest version and would love another round of feedback.

We've done a lot to make it both look and feel smoother and sleeker but there's always room for improvement.  I welcome both positive and negative comments. 

It is available here. 

http://www.izenda.com/adhoc

Click on the live demo or view the animation.
Sanjay Bhatia Send private email
Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Are there certain areas you'd like to have reviewed?

A couple things:

The reports mix fonts. The links and tabs at the top are Times, the button text is Arial or some sans serif, the description looks like a fixed width font, and the data is small times.  If nothing else, I'd suggest going with a fixed-width or non-serif font for the data.

I got an ASPX Error when making a trend chart with no date selected, and it spit out a nice stack trace.  The error was: InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid
Stephen Cote Send private email

Some online help would be useful. It wasn't clear to me what all of the controls did, especially the checkboxes on the Fields and Filters tabs. The UI itself works quite well.

I suggest that you make it possible to link directly to saved reports in various formats (CSV, etc). My clients commonly ask for that when I build reporting features into a site.

The installation guide needs work. It refers to a Reports folder but the top-level folders are VSCS and VSVB, neither of which is mentioned in the guide.
comp.lang.c refugee

Thanks for the tip.  Is there a good guide out there for selecting fonts in a browser and OS independent way?  Also, what's the default font for IE and Firefox and do most people change it?  Do most users prefer that you use the font they've selected as their default?
Sanjay Bhatia Send private email
Wednesday, December 21, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics