The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Fullscreen modes

I want to add fullscreen to support to one of my application to allow the user to use maximum screen space:

There are two things two do in fullscreen, both helps to have maximum screen space:

1. Hide caption and hide taskbar to maximize the application

2. Hide application menu, status bar, toolbar and panes so the user maximizes the view

Both 1. and 2. are useful features in their own. The question is should the fullscreen support do both at the same time or have two command for each?

Or have only one command which rotates (toggles) between the different possibilities (1-off,2-off; 1-on,2-off; 1-on;2-on; 1-off; 2-on).

What would you prefer?
NUL
Friday, December 16, 2005

Full screen mode shoud hide the menu bar, toolbars, status bar, everything but the working document. Well implemented FS mode apps enable the menu bar to appear when the mouse moves to the top of the screen. Good UI libraries will do all of this for you.
Neville Franks Send private email

Just don't forget about issues with dual monitors. For example, I use two monitors positioned one on top of the other. There is no "top of screen" for my bottom monitor. Well, technically there is. But trying to hit it within one pixel with my mouse is nearly impossible. Wasting a few extra pixels at the top of the app to support this type of dual monitor config won't hurt anything. And it may keep your users from getting really PO'd at your software.
Turtle Rustler

Here's the surprisingly simple answer Raymond Chen gave me to the same question back in 1996:

Create a captionless borderless window whose size is exactly
SM_CXSCREEN by SM_CYSCREEN.
Omer Send private email
Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Except it's not the same question. Still, it beats jumping through hoops to make the task bar disappear.
Omer Send private email
Wednesday, December 21, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics