The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

File and EXE helper utility

During my software releases, I continually end up with a massive amount of file copying, running the compiler, more file moving, running the licensing scheme, setup package creation, final executable creation, backing up all files, and the list goes on and on like this. Yes, I *could* create a batch script, but I want to avoid writing obscure batch files as this becomes a time waster.  Is there some cheap little desktop utility out there somewhere that I can simply select a file or folder I want to copy/move/delete/rename, or run a process and feed in arguments? Maybe it would create a batch file for me or whatever, I just want to be able to save this process of steps when I am done.

I want it to do just this.  Start program.  I make list of steps, save list.  Run process, show results.  My work is then done, so can goto bar/pub and drink beer. Does anybody know of such a program?
Lurker Send private email
Thursday, December 15, 2005

How about using make or ant? They aren't GUI based, but they are made just for compiling, building and packaging applications.
szeryf

TownDrunk

Are you up to some emotion?

http://make.rubyforge.org/
http://rake.rubyforge.org/

I use Rake.

It works like this:

desc 'Backup files'
task :backup_files do
  cp_r 'c:\some_dir', 'c:\bkp\'
end

desc 'Create EXE'
task :exe do
  cd 'c:\something'
  sh 'make exe'
end

desc 'Run all tasks'
task :all => [:exe, :backup_files] do
end

Note: this is untested code and I haven't tried to run Rake on Windows yet, but it works on Windows.

Rake follows some of the Ant (Java) and NAnt (DotNet) ideas, I think. "Rant" follows the Rake ideas. "Rant" is developed by someone that seems to mostly use Windows.
Paulo Diniz

Hmmm. Ant, Make, Rake - these all seem like they can do the job, BUT FinalBuilder looks to be the thing I need.  Thanks for all you suggestions.
Lurker Send private email
Friday, December 16, 2005

I faced this same problem. One of my apps had 4 versions. I had over 30 steps to compile, copy exe's, build setups, zip setups, FTP upload, backup, ect.

Final Builder reduced it to one mouse click.
Mike Send private email
Wednesday, December 21, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics