The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

In search of CodeWarrior

Simple question ... I'm looking for a recent version of CodeWarrior for Windows (maybe 8.0). Does anyone know where I can buy either a new or used copy?

The company has either been acquired or changed focus. Versions are still available for other platforms, but I need a Windows/Intel version.

Thanks,
-D13

P.S. I've already searched eBay and about a million other places. Many sites list the product but don't actually have it in stock.
Developer #13
Thursday, December 15, 2005

Metrowerks is now owned by Freescale, but they still have their web site http://www.metrowerks.com

Their discontinued products page says they sold their x86 products to a "third party".  Not very useful.  But they do give you a contact link for more information.  Maybe they'll tell you who they sold it to:  http://www.metrowerks.com/Discontinued/default.htm
argon Send private email

I might have a copy of this laying around... I will check tonight and see what I find...
TownDrunk

If I remember correctly, the "third party" was Intel.
Chris Tavares Send private email

From a post by a MW employee on Apr 14, to codewarrior.windows:

> Metrowerks has discontinued the sale and development of
> its Intel x86 compilers.  This technology is used in
> Symbian development and was acquired by Nokia last year. 

They then proceeded to remove their x86 compilers from all of their products as part of their agreement with Nokia. Then two months later Steve Jobs announced that Macs would soon have Intel processors and Codewarrior on Mac died.
Robert
Friday, December 16, 2005

They sold their Intel compiler to Samsung. You'll have to find a used copy on ebay.
Scott

Right, sorry, Nokia not Samsung.
Scott

And Steve Jobs KNEW about the Nokia deal. He deliberately let them go through with it because Apple is hoping to start charging for XCode Pro.
Scott

Well, I checked the usual places for this CD and have not been able to find it. Seeing as though we just moved into a new house it could still be packed away. If I come across it I will post here again.

Sorry
TownDrunk

Thanks all. I found a guy selling the Mac version on ebay that might be willing to sell the windows version.
Developer #13
Saturday, December 17, 2005

CodeWarrior: yuck... and why?

Given all the possible options:

SourceInsight
SlickEdit (my favorite)
Codewright
Eclipse
Emacs

CodeWarrior is a sorry excuse for an editor. That is all that can be said for it.
hoser Send private email
Sunday, December 18, 2005

Well, you'll have a hard time getting CodeWright or SlickEdit to compile anything.

CodeWarrior is more than just the IDE - it's the compiler suite as well.
Chris Tavares Send private email
Monday, December 19, 2005

And the compiler suite is very good. My experience shows that it compiles about twice as fast as gcc which is what Xcode uses.  And the code is smaller.

But Xcode lets you do distributed compilation, which CW never got around to, and we've set up a bunch of old Mac boxes as a compilation farm, so now Xcode wins!

But I still like CW's IDE better. Oh well...
Robert
Tuesday, December 20, 2005

hoser, I'm developing code for an organization that uses CodeWarrior. In order to eliminate as many problems as possible, I'm trying to replicate their development setup. They are using CodeWarrior, so I'm going to try to do the same if I can.
Developer #13
Thursday, December 22, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics