The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Book recommendations on Programming Methods / Patterns

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone can give some good Book recommendations.
I know C# and Visual Basic but I have problems adopting design patterns / methods like MVC in these languages.

Now I want to get Software Design right and want a good source for it.
Maybe even books on planning Software Design ?

Any help is much appreciated
Mike
Thursday, December 15, 2005

One book I found amazingly usefull for picking up design patterns was a book called "Head First Design Patterns". The book takes a very visual approach to teaching them. I highly recommend it. The ISBN Number is 0-596-00712-4. It is published by O'Reilly.
Steve Haunts Send private email

Add anything by Martin Fowler and Steven McConnnell:

Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture (MF)
Refactoring (MF)
Code Complete (SM)
Rapid Development (SM)
KC Send private email

I recommend "Design Patterns Explained" 2nd edition by Alan Shalloway and James R. Trott (Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-321-24714-0). It condenses the Gang of Four tome into something readable. Has some good code examples too.
Former COBOL Programmer

Another vote for Fowler's PEAA.  If you're doing messaging (MQ Series, MSMQ, etc), then Hohpe's Enterprise Integration Patterns is also good to have.
example Send private email

Check out Allen Holub's 'Holub on Patterns'. He walks through 2 good sized projects, a Game of Life implementation and an in memory database/SQL engine and shows how to apply patterns to problems you will encounter on a real project. Written in Java.
Geronimous Send private email

I liked Craig Larman's "Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development".

It covers fundamental principles of OO design and some of the more basic design patterns, in the framework of a variation on the Rational Unified Process methodology.  It also uses UML (in Martin Fowler's "UML Distilled" UML-as-Sketch philosophy) to illustrate all this.
Jesse Smith

Addition...

If you have got Design Patterns (any book, GoF, HEad First, DP Explained, etc) and Refactoring (MF, Refactoring Workbook, etc)...

Complete your skill with "Refactoring to Patterns" by Joshua Kerievsky.
Norman Sasono Send private email
Tuesday, January 03, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics