The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

C++ Charting

Easy question:

I'm adding charting to my application. The charts are fairly simple (I only need pie, Bar, Column, XY scatter plots)

I'm writing in C++ with MFC, so I need something compatible with that (e.g. C++ code / DLL / etc) (something with C++ source code would be my ideal)
Commercial components (i.e. $$$) are okay, as long as they are royalty free.

Can anyone recommend a component, or open-source project that has worked out for them...

Thanks very much

Warren
Warren Stevens Send private email
Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I've used ChartFX in C++ recently. It will do what you need and it is royalty free. However, I would not recommend it, I would look for something that does not use COM and does not have to have separate registered DLLs for you to deploy. I agree that having the source code would be ideal.

The frustrations with the little bugs and minute details in ChartFX, and previously with something called Formula One are enough to make me want to roll my own charting class. arg!
Anon and anon

Dennis Crane (Dr.Explain software) Send private email

Codeproject has several charts. I am not sure if there is one that fits all your requirements but I would have a look anyway.

About a year ago we evaluated a bunch of charts and ended up choosing Nevron because it had the best looking charts in the market by a long shot. It was a .NET but I seem to recall that they also had COM components. They sell the source code (very high quality and weel commented) and they have a nice price. They even developed an addition for us for quite a low price!

(no afiliation, just happy customer)
BD Send private email

I've heard good things about ChartDirector (use google). I have good things to say about PyLab, previously known as MatPlotLib -- http://matplotlib.sf.net, but you'll have to embed Python to use it. No problem with that -- bsd-style license for all components, ~2mb footprint and you get an awfully good scripting language for free :)
Ori Berger

Crystal reports has always worked well for me. I beleive that they have a variety ot pricing schemes. I am honestly not certain about royalties however.

- http://www.businessobjects.com/solutions/crystalreports/default.asp  -

----------------
- http://www.freetechsupport.us -
Sqeaky Send private email
Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Yes, I've seen Nevron. I thought they looked very nice too. At this point they might be my first choice, unless I write it myself (which really seems like I'm re-inventing the wheel - but hey - it's kind of interesting too).
Warren Stevens Send private email

Nevron looks *really* nice - I wish we had used it. The key is the anti-aliasing on the 3D shapes (which is something ChartFX doesn't or didn't have), and it is also something that I assume puts the barrier to doing it yourself very high.
Anon and anon

Played a bit with
http://www.advsofteng.com/
looks good -- but never used it in production system
Liam
Thursday, December 08, 2005

TeeChart

I have used it in Delphi and C++ for over 10 years now at several companies. It may be overkill for what you want right now (it does every graph type you can think of and then some) but if you make the wrong choice & choose a limited package then it can be a nightmare to rip & replace later when you need just one more little feature or particular graph feature.
Grant
Wednesday, December 14, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics