The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

IT department views of PHP and ASP.NET

I'm thinking of creating some software for use within small IT companies.  These are the sort of small companies that have about five to ten staff, most of whom are technical.  Given that most of these companies will be coding in an MS environment, they would probably be more familiar with hearing '.NET' than 'PHP'.  Has anybody had any experience with any MS/.NET only mentalities?  Is it common?  Should this influence my language choice?
Kyle M
Thursday, November 24, 2005

We're one of your small guys. Seven of us. We're an MS Partner. All of us Certified MS. While I'd have to bow out oh PHP -- never done it, most of the guys here would be perfectly comfortable in either world, PHP or .NET.

I think you'll find that most of us small-guy shops are pretty comfortable anywhere. We *have* to have sort of the proverbial Jack-of-all-trades-have-travel-will-code-anywhere-in-anything kind of mentality. Most small guys that I've run into are similar. While my primary work is intel with windows, I've got no issue at all writing code on unix/linux, mainframe, or anything else you'd like to throw at me. I'm adaptable.

That being said, I'd say screw it. Go with what you're comfortable with. PHP or ASP.NET -- there's a heck of a lot of developers in both worlds.
Sgt.Sausage

Agree. I am leading a team of that size and almost all the time using ASP.NET, we are all familiar with PHP and Linux. PHP/MySQL is quite easy (and free) to install in Windows so it would be my choice. Also, read this Joel’s experience:

“One day in the summer of 2003, after my friend Uday had finally told me for about the 17th time that he would have bought FogBugz but they didn't have any Windows servers to run it on …”

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/FogBugzIII.html
Zvonko Send private email

From an Australian viewpoint:

A few years back I started an IT consultancy with a "work with whatever technologies it takes to get work" approach. After a couple of years we had become a Microsoft shop, because that was what was demanded from our clientele. I suspect there is a feeling of "It's Microsoft so it's probably OK" amongst decision makers who don't have a in-depth understanding of what PHP and ASP.NET means.

This makes me suspect that you'll have a wider audience if you go with .NET
Imminent Send private email

We have a tactic (in a early company we develop with Visual FoxPro, and the buzz of that day was VB.. go figure), so:

"In hat you develop?"

and we answer:

"We support the MS DNA plataform strategy using the tools available for the MS plataform, specialized in data crunching, bla bla".

That was enough 99%

Also, if you google, you can find a plugin to code PHP in VS.NET! so you are covering:

"We support the .NET strategy, where web standars, plataforms  and conectivity. We run under the Windows plataform and integrated correctly with it. We use specialized tools for build your web application"

also, not forget the power of url rewriting, so you can mask the final .php if that is a toooooo big issue...
Mario Alejandro Send private email

Thanks for the replies; most informative.  I guess that as the company size grows, the people making the decisions are probably the people that know less and less about specific IT issues, but at the 5 - 10 staff point, everyone has gotta know everything.

Cheers,
Kyle
Kyle M

A buddy of mine is in high-level management at a medium-sized (200 ~ 250 employees) software company. One day, he was telling me about some of their software that was bringing in a lot of revenue, and he said: "It's writtin in PHP, of all things!! That's not even a real language!!!"

Among executives and managers, I think this opinion is pervasive. In their opinion, PHP is a hacked-together bag of tricks that produces some useful small projects, but it's impossible to develop anything of enterprise quality using PHP.

So, if I were you, and if I wanted to give the impression of maximum enterpriseyness in my sales presentations and demos, I would develop the software on a Microsoft platform (or, even better, in Java (which is enterprisalicious)).
BenjiSmith Send private email
Tuesday, November 29, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics