The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Fullscreen mode recommendations

I'm adding fullscreen support to our app as screen real-estate is very important in our program (it displays a lot of data).

Our app is an MDI app.

What do you think about the following:

Have a normal, semi fullscreen and fullscreen mode where semi fullscreen maximizes to the entire screen but leaves the menu and main toolbar visible, and hides the status bar. The real fullscreen mode will also hide the menu and toolbar and only shows the MDI child window maximized.

Is this 3 mode confusing to a user? It's also hard to switch between the 3 states with one menu (toggle or cycle full screen modes).

The other question if the user closes the mdi child window document, should we automatically restore to a mode where the main menu is visible? Basic users may not be able to continue if they do not see anything on the screen. However this solution is againt the current standard in the apps (eg excel).

I appreciate your input,
Friday, November 18, 2005
Kind of hard to say w/out knowing your target audience.  Some folks will grok it, others won't.

As to the closing of the child form:  I would definately restore the menu.  Otherwise your app might get the three finger salute.
Eric D. Burdo Send private email
Whatever you do, always have some visual icon/menubar/whatever on the screen that 'admin that doesn't know your program and hasn't read the manual' can use to shut it down/call op the menubar.

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics