The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Firefox ARRRRG

It loses keyboard focus all the time!

Like many people I use ctrl-F4 to close tabs. The underlying tab is uncovered, but IT DOESN'T HAVE keyboard focus!

Mouse users don't care, but us keyboard types have to *click* on the frame, and only then use the arrow keys.
Alex Send private email
Sunday, November 07, 2004

Glad it's not just me.

Incredibly annoying.

You can tab to it but it takes many tabs.

In two days Firefox 1.0 will be available, maybe the problem is fixed in 1.0.
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Martin Hoffmann Send private email

It seems to work for me.  When I close one tab with ctrl+f4, the current tab closes and the tab to the right gains keyboard focus.
Me
Monday, November 08, 2004

For me, Ctrl+F4 closes tab, and the tab to the right gets keyboard focus. If I close the rightmost tab, the new rightmost tab gets keyboard focus.
I run Mozilla 1.0 Preview Release.
Martin A. Bøgelund

I'm using Firefix 0.9 w/ Tabbrowser extensions and when I close a tab with ctrl-F4 the new tab gets the focus.
Almost Anonymous Send private email

How difficult would it be to fix your problem? I mean, isn't that the point of open-source software?
Anon

I think it's because of the way Firefox/Gecko handles the Javascript DOM - if an event kicks off on a hidden page that 'GetsFocus()' or something like that, it's going to move the keyboard focus to that item on that tab/page, but it does NOT move the visual focus (as Javascript has no concept of tabbed browsing :) - It's not an easy fix, you either have to make the code switch windows, or semi-break javascript (or at least the way gecko handles it) to change the behaviour.
Adam Send private email

Can't you just press CTRL+W to close a tab?
Bill Brown Send private email
Tuesday, November 09, 2004

At least here (using Linux) there seems to be no problem when closing tabs with ctrl-w. Since Firefox doesn't quit on ctrl-q (by design, because it's too easy to hit by mistake), you should probably give ctrl-w a try..
Mystran
Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Thanks for the ctrl-W tip, I'm already getting used to it (haven't noticed whether it deals with the focus bug yet).
Alex Send private email
Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Fix the bug then, it is open source you know.
Mr Jack
Thursday, November 11, 2004

Got 1.0 today, still happens.
Alex Send private email
Thursday, November 11, 2004

>Fix the bug then, it is open source you know.

That's not an answer, nor is it a useful or helpful comment.

The fact that it's open source means he could fix the bug if he had the time and inclination: that's the advantage of open source software.  It does NOT, however, mean that he has any obligation to investigate the problem by reading source code, instead of asking for opinions on whether it's a bug or not!  Nor does it mean he has any obligation to fix the bug himself, instead of asking for the developers to fix it!

It's drones like you with your broken-record "it's free, nobody owes you anything, fix it yourself" crap that put people off open source software for life, you know.
Iago
Friday, November 12, 2004

Those who can, do.
Those who can't, bitch.
Full name:
Saturday, November 13, 2004

"It's drones like you with your broken-record "it's free, nobody owes you anything, fix it yourself" crap that put people off open source software for life, you know."

Uh, I thought that was the justification for recommending open-source?

If you're going to sit and gripe at the developers, then there's no difference between open-source and commercial.

Philo
Philo [MSFT] Send private email
Saturday, November 13, 2004

"Got 1.0 today, still happens."

What platform are you on?  Maybe you should install Tabbrowser Extensions or something because I don't experience this problem at all (and neither do a few people above).  Have you searched the bug database for your problem?
Sunday, November 14, 2004

Windows XP.

No Tabbrowser Extensions (what are those? doesn't it come with tabs by default?).

I'll look through the bug database, thanks.
Alex Send private email

What the guy is saying is true. The focus changes but there is no keyboard focus when you close one tab and go to another.

As you are reading web pages initially I don't see this as too great a problem.
Stephen Jones Send private email

"No Tabbrowser Extensions (what are those? doesn't it come with tabs by default?)."

It's a firefox/Mozilla plugin that gives you about a zillion extra tab functions.  I find it to be very helpful (although some people say it makes firefox unstable -- I haven't had too many problems). 

For whatever reason, when I close a tab with the keyboard (ctrl-F4) the new tab gets the focus.  Maybe it's because of this plugin.
Tuesday, November 16, 2004

There are also a large number of other tab-related extensions for Firefox.  You may want to try installing a few of those to see if they correct the problem.

Philo: "If you're going to sit and gripe at the developers, then there's no difference between open-source and commercial."

There's no difference between open-source and commercial software? That's great! There's a change I'ld like to have made to Windows 95 - think you can arrange that for me? Or maybe you can get me the source code so I can do it myself? No?

Ah, we've discovered a difference between open-source and commercial software. With one of them you pay in time or money to get work done, and with the other you really hope that the work is in the best interests of the owner of the software because if it isn't then you have no options at all.

If all you can do is sit and "gripe" then there's a big difference: only open source allows you to take your money elsewhere to have the work done. This is important, and it's why Mr Gates objects to open source, even while trying to explain that  migrating to Linux will make software more expensive.

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics