The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

V 0.2 any better?

I've done some improvements suggested by the responses to my previous post (http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?design.4.232617.27) regarding this app here, http://www.naltabyte.se/main.asp.
It's presumable more stable now - but that's just me 'beliving stuff', which is kinda dangerous.. I would really appriciate comments how it's *actually* doing..
mikael bergkvist Send private email
Friday, November 04, 2005

You seem to be making a ton of extra round-trips to the server.  An example is when I select something in the drop-down, you do a full page refresh before loading the app. 

I then used the calculator.  I clicked on '6', waited for a page refresh to load the 6.  Then I clicked on '5' and had to wait for another refresh.

You'll want to investigate this,  None of those roundtrips are necessary.
Lou Send private email

The demo is supposed to show that a mixed and complex visual interface can be handled completely serverside with ease, down to the very last detail, so I made a conscious decision not use any clientside dhtml at all, and that included the calculator.
-- However, one can use dhtml parallel to that, or simply use it as a (very versatile) server backend.
I just choosed not to.

I guess there isn't much of a reason to use your product from what I can see. I'd recommend creating a proof of concept application (more involved than a few demos) that people can use so that people can get a clear indication of what exactly the benefits of using your software as opposed to just using client side javascript. The descriptions on the website are less than compelling.
Stephen Caldwell Send private email

The main benefit is the ease of use.
Serverapps are selfcontained xml, http://www.naltabyte.se/xinz/apps/calculator.xml, which can be fetched from anywhere on the web and then run as local apps on the fetching server.
It's 'gadgets' for the server essentially, and you can toss any number of them into a page on the fly.
Not using clientside javascript also means avoiding the crossbrowser problems and security issues.

The adress above has a comma at the end, it should be  http://www.naltabyte.se/xinz/apps/calculator.xml

"Not using clientside javascript also means avoiding the crossbrowser problems and security issues."

It also makes it a lot less interesting.
Almost H. Anonymous Send private email

"It also makes it a lot less interesting."

For a user, it means fewer bugs and, if I'm in a hurry developing something, it means one less thing to worry about, and the fetching and intergrating of serverdata happens naturally without having to think about it.
- I'm not sure if that's really a consumer point of view..

_Maybe_ five years ago this could have been interesting. But there are just so many faster, more usable and more attractive widgets out there that do the same things. :(
Thom Lawrence Send private email
Saturday, November 05, 2005

[I thought I had commented in the last thread, but I didn't see anything by me]

It's neat, and it shows that you're a talented guy.  But as others have said, it seems to solve a problem that doesn't exist.  The only thing I think I could use it for is prototyping (and then only if development is as rapid as you make it sound).  No way in 2005 is someone going to use a calculator that round-trips to the server for each button click.  A drop-down list that isn't instantaneously responsive?  What's wrong with <select>?

Writing rich, responsive web-based apps is getting *easier*, not harder.
Jonas Quimby Send private email
Saturday, November 05, 2005

- Just a question, if all these apps had been a part of a portal page, and not as 'windows', would that at all affect how you'd all percieve it?
Part of what this technology is about, is running multiple serverside processes parallel to eachother within the same context, and that it can add/remove any such process (application) on the fly with a single call.
Sunday, November 06, 2005

When I press Back on my browser it takes me back to the last action I took within your page.

That insane functionality alone kills it for me, I can't see anyone wanting to use an interface like that.
Joe P. User

On the other hand, that's the one major complaint with Flash and other technologies.. that the back button does'nt work. ;-)

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics