The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

ER Studio, Erwin, Something else?

Anyone have any comments or suggestions for a brand new installation and undertaking at a large enterprise site for Data Modeling and Data Dictionary?

Recommendations, suggestions, warnings, [good] links?

Once you pick a product, do other products let you import competing models and convert them?  I want to be able to input basic metadata right in with the model, but don't want to get stuck if we need to change products and can't get our metadata and models back out.

ER Studio just came out with v7, and seems to have presence everywhere including winning a bunch of awards.  I think CA AllFusion Erwin is the market leader, widely used.  System Architect by Popkins software just got bought out.  Oracle Designer is going away and its features merging into JDeveloper (free!) and Raptor, but not sure I can wait until next year when process finished.
Scot Send private email
Thursday, November 03, 2005

I've always liked Sybase PowerDesigner:

http://www.sybase.com/products/developmentintegration/powerdesigner

It's got good logical/physical round-trip capabilities, supports lots of DBMS's (incl. custom ones you can define yourself), and is flexible enough to let me use the notation ("crow's feet") that I'm comfortable with, rather than forcing a notation.
BillT Send private email

Enterprise Architect is very good for the price. Does ER, UML etc.
Kim

I've recomend Deklarit (http://www.deklarit.com/, an Addon of VS.NET) or GeneXus (www.genexus.com an stand alone product).

Supports differents DMBS and genereate .NET, Java and .NET Mobile code.
Henry Send private email
Wednesday, November 09, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics