The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Lightweight j2ee server?

What would you recommend for a lightweight j2ee server? possibly for linux.
I'm currently using tomcat. but can't easily work with jdbc connection pooling and can't start it up automatically.
Thanks.
j2e
Thursday, October 27, 2005

"can't easily work with jdbc connection"

Do you mean tomcat doesn't work with jdbc connection pooling? Or do you mean that *you* can't easily work with tomcat's connection pooling? Elaborate a little bit.

"can't start it up automatically"

Why not? I start tomcat automatically on my webserver. Do you know how to add a startup script to /etc/init.d/ for your distro?

Thursday, October 27, 2005

JBoss

It has a the nice feature of running only what you need.
Bill Rushmore Send private email
Friday, October 28, 2005

"can't easily work with jdbc connection"

Does your Tomcat version support native connection pooling?  If it's relatively recent it does, and very simply.  If you've inherited a pre-v4 installation, you need other software.

+1 for JBoss.
a former big-fiver Send private email
Friday, October 28, 2005

And we have the winner of the "Oxymoron of the week" contest.

(Why no, I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread. Why do you ask?)
Chris Tavares Send private email
Friday, October 28, 2005

Not that I'm a Tomcat guru but it does support connection pooling.

You could try Jetty - http://jetty.mortbay.org/jetty/
Paul Norrie Send private email
Friday, October 28, 2005

you can always just do a basic software implementation of a connection pool...

http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/Programming/JDCBook/conpool.html
arg!
Saturday, October 29, 2005

I replaced our Tomcat with Jetty a few month ago and I'm glad I did it...
Frank Spychalski
Monday, October 31, 2005

Tomcat 5+ uses pooling automatically.  All I had to do for my app is configure the number of connections (active and idle) that it could open to the database.
Matt Brown
Monday, October 31, 2005

Jetty / Tomcat are pretty good, but they are not J2EE servers, but servlet containers.

I haven't heard of any "lightweight" j2ee servers in my life,  but AFAIK the only one that's free is JBOSS.
Peter K Send private email
Tuesday, November 01, 2005

If you mean an EJB container, indeed they arent. They are servlet containers. Actually EJB containers like JBoss, Websphere etc... often use Tomcat as their servlet container.

Servlets are an important part of J2EE, and they dont come under the category of J2SE. Do remember J2EE != EJB. EJB is one of the ((too)many) standards unders J2EE. Servlets are another, so its fair enough to talk of doing J2EE while not using EJB. (Indeed Rod Johnson wrote a whole book about "J2EE without EJB").

Another free J2EE server is Apache Geronimo. Havent used it so I cant tell you how good/bad it it is.
Domainless
Saturday, November 05, 2005

For lightweight J2EE, I recommend go with Tomcat and a lightweight framework like Spring. Or Tomcat and no framework. Don't bother with EJB. Servlet is in my opinion the best thought through and most developer friendly part of J2EE.

I wrote a post on Servlet, EJB and J2EE over on my blog at      http://delsquared.blogspot.com/2005/07/brown-j2ee-tractor-trailer.html   
you might find that interesting.

The current release of Tomcat has connection pool and automatic startup.
cbmc64 Send private email
Thursday, November 10, 2005

Im getting a 404 on that link mate
Domainless
Monday, November 14, 2005

Sorry about that 404, domainless.

It looks like a software error inserted a spurious %C2%A0 at the end of the URL. If you still want to vist the article do a copy link location, then paste into your address bar. Edit the address bar to remove the %C2%A0 at the end of the URL. Then it will navigate to the proper page.

Or you could click on my name to get to the main site, then click on the site map, then click on the "Brown, J2EE, tractor trailer" link.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
cbmc64 Send private email
Wednesday, November 16, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics