The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Does this usage of AJAX interesting enough?

I've created a framework that I think is good enough to look at. The main idea was to create a technology which works similar to usual dialogs of standard GUI. Another thing we tried to avoid - overcomplex JavaScript coding and I think we've got some success. I see many advantages of such technology - users don't have to load a new page for working with a form, the same input forms can be used from different views, at least users don't lose context they work in.
On the other hand I'm affraid this could look great only for me, because I made it. Could you please leave you opinion of a demo service based on that framework?
Maxim Wirt Send private email
Tuesday, October 18, 2005
From what I could see from your URL there's not much there.
son of parnas
Is this real, or do you just want sign-ups to check out your software?
Afraid of spam
Nobody has even to register to understand what I talk about. When you click on 'join' or 'remind password' link you'll get rough notion about things I told about. Popup dialogs are loaded dynamicaly and behave like standard dialogs. This is the main idea.
From the web site: "I-ToDo service is a comfortable web service..."

What's next, web services that are spacious? Roomy? Fun to drive? Get good mileage?

Master of the Obvious
Ha!  My scripts restore the ozone layer!
KC Send private email
Mine save puppies.  You like puppies, don't you?  Don't you want to save puppies, too?  Then use my scripts!
Aaron F Stanton Send private email
I don't want movable dialogs in web pages. IMHO with the current technology it just makes web pages harder to use, not easier.
It's cool as a gimmick... don't know a real application of this off the bat.

One thing... the popup does weird things when you're in a maximized Firefox browser.
Mr Hoberto Send private email
And there's a typo - Registered
"the popup does weird things when you're in a maximized Firefox browser"

And in Opera, the text underneath the dialog is selected when the dialog is dragged.
I played with it for 2 minutes, here is my review;

- what do you need all the signup info for if you don't check it anyway? I entered a bogus email address, name and surname and timezone. Since you're not checking the email-address, why require it? Name and surname and irrelevant and you could tell the timezone from the HTTP-Request. And most users don't know their offset from GMT.

- The whole ajax thingiwmagic is supposed to make the UI more responsive, but your todo list is not really snappy.

- The create window moved itself around after it was created.

- I did the following: created a task 2.) "reported" the task 3.) created a new task

- The new task I created was already marked as "reported".

a2800276 Send private email
Wednesday, October 19, 2005
I think I misunderstood the whole "report" thing, sorry.

So: who am I actually reporting to?

And: how is this Ajax if the entire page reloads whenever I do something?
a2800276 Send private email
Wednesday, October 19, 2005
are the dialog boxes supposed to move? the cursor changes but they dont move nowhere. firefox windows xp.
YaYaYa Send private email
Thursday, October 20, 2005
I think it's a good start and it's worth expanding on, but it's not 'there' yet, but I'm sure it will though, if only you sit down with it for a little longer.
The popups are too much surface and too little functionality for my taste - and they are a tad bit unstable.
mikael bergkvist Send private email
Friday, October 21, 2005
Thanks for the link.  It worked for me. 

It would be nice if everything was AJAX and never loaded new pages.
More questions than answers Send private email
Wednesday, October 26, 2005
RE: sloop
we use this techniques on our CRM product and our customers become much happier when version with pop-up feature has been out. We haven't break golden rules of good web interface - users can easily use back and refresh buttons, so I won't agree with you.

RE: tim
Thanks for the good remarks. We fixed almost all of them.

RE: YaYaYa
We have tested it on firefox 1.0.7 and move popup feature works fine on this version. Probably you use an older one. Anyway we'll try to figure out what is the problem.

RE: mikael bergkvist
Thanks, we'll definetely add some features to the application. As we recognize, users are a bit confused when reported task moves from current list to history.
Thursday, October 27, 2005
Maxim, I think your web page is pretty cool. It's nice to have the dialog appear without reloading the page - it grabs your attention focus on the thing you need to deal with. Very good.
Davis Beddlebun
Sunday, October 30, 2005

1.  Pop-ups suck.  I don't know why you'd want to reinvent them.

2.  You have three forms (login, join, remind password) when you should only have one.  Present it as a tabbed form.  If I type in my e-mail address and then realise I've forgotton my password, I shouldn't have to type my e-mail address in again when I ask for my password to be e-mailed to me.
Wednesday, November 02, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics