The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

.NET Compact Framework Deployment?

I'm about to publish a little puzzle game soonish. As a free bonus for registered users, I've created a "mobile edition" for Pocket PC and one for Windows CE .NET in addition to the main PC-based one (all three nearly identical, the former two in fact just to get a chance to play a little with .NET compact framework).

I'm planning on only one installer for the main PC version. I was about to simply put the .cab files for the two mobile editions in the main app folder during PC edition setup, hoping that Pocket PC users and Windows CE .NET users would be able to figure out how to get that stuff over to their devices. But I've never used a real Pocket PC or CE-based device yet, so I wanted to hear your opinions.

Windows Installer may have some neat options for mobile deployment but I'm not planning on using it, rather I'm likely to go for Nullsoft Install System.

What are the odds that people will not figure out how to get the game to their smart devices, get annoyed and send bulks of support request messages?

Thanks for any insights!
Philipp Schumann Send private email
Sunday, October 09, 2005

As long as it doesn't need to integrate with third-party components (other than .NET) it is fairly simple to install.  One just copies the cab file across to the device and opens it.  However, there are a large number of caveats so I'd recommend one of the free installers out there.  EZSetup comes to mind - give it a cab and and inf file and you have an install program that will use ActiveSync to install it - nice for the user.  Alternatively read up the .NET docs on how it all works.

Cheers
Paul Norrie Send private email
Sunday, October 09, 2005

"But I've never used a real Pocket PC or CE-based device yet, so I wanted to hear your opinions."

WHAT!?

Development on the Emulator is crap.  It is accurate *some* of the time, but definitely not all.  Get yourself a WinCE device and test it before you deploy.

You probably have a friend who'd let you borrow it for an evening...
KC Send private email
Monday, October 10, 2005

Thanks!  :)
Philipp Schumann Send private email
Monday, October 10, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics