The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Listviews in VB6

I recently had to redo an app in VB6 that was originally written in VB5.  I had to replace a DBGrid with a Listview.  To my frustration I found out that the LV’s properties did not include options to FullRowSelect or show GridLines.
Where for other products I’ve done in VB6, these options are available.  I’ve played around with the references and components, to no avail. 
(I used to think I know Listviews – now I’m not so sure…)
Where the hell are all of my Listview’s properties?
Celeste L Send private email
Wednesday, October 05, 2005

You are probably linking to "Windows Common Controls 5" (comctl32.ocx) instead of "Windows Common Controls 6" (mscomctl.ocx).

You can either update your references to use the newer controls or you can use the appropriate Windows message and SendMessage.
Adrian

See VBAccelerator.com <http://www.vbaccelerator.com/home/index.asp> for a whole bunch of useful VB code for subclassing the listview control. It's all free and open source, and the examples show you how to do some pretty cool stuff.
Former COBOL Programmer

I'm with the other guy, it is probably a misreference in your project.  Check em.
Matt Conrad Send private email

Components are Microsoft Windows Common Controls 5.0 (SP2) and Microsoft Windows Common Controls-2 6.0 (SP4).
I can't remove the first (5.0) because it's in use.
What do I do?
Celeste L Send private email
Thursday, October 06, 2005

I vaguely remember that this was done in one of the service packs for VB6 (as previous posters, check references). Prior to this, adding gridlines, full row select etc to listviews was easily achievable using Win32Api functions.

You can find complete instructions to do this over at http://vbnet.mvps.org

Search the site for listview.

(yes, it all works safely - I used it in production software for about a year until the VB6 stuff was released).
Justin Send private email
Thursday, October 06, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics