The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

.NET linkers

I don't want to spawn the debate about linker vs. framework. I believe I know the major arguments and think that in some shrinkwrap/product cases offering a linked download in addition to a framework download is a very viable option.

Now, here the actual question. Are there any open source .NET linker efforts going on, do you know of any? If not, wouldn't it be about time to start one? Anyone interested in joining in? Any insights into the steps performed by a linker? Whatever pieces of knowledge you possess regarding these questions, sharing even the slightest bits will be highly appreciated...  =)

Thanks. (I'm not very much interested in links to commercial linkers BTW, as they have been posted repeatedly on this forum already.)
Philipp Schumann Send private email
Monday, October 03, 2005

Go for it.  Nothing's stopping you.
Aaron F Stanton Send private email
Monday, October 03, 2005

How about a native compiler rather than linker, gcc has done it for Java, I can't see why it couldn't be done for C#
Tony
Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The problem is the framework, not the compiler.
Frederik Slijkerman Send private email

But maybe this route would even work, assuming the compiler would also re-"compile" the framework BCL (they are managed as well) in each "linking" run.

I suppose what'd be particularly tricky (strong names aside) would be the binary format so that resources are stored correctly and can be accessed from the "compiled" application.

I like the idea. However, rather than writing a compiler, couldn't NGen be utilized for this? Maybe this is what conventional linkers do.

Geronimous Send private email

Definitely looks promising, thanks for sharing!

That still doesn't eliminate the need for the massive runtime.
Aaron F Stanton Send private email

Talking about reducing size of .NET framework, have anyone tried to run the compact framework at desktop. I've heard Microsoft engineers have made tremendous effort to trim down the size of framework to fit in embedded environment.
Lau Lei Cheong
Thursday, October 06, 2005

On Win XP it works without issues (no wonder: it's the same codebase, only less, not even device-specifics are included afaik).

Not an option at all for WinForms applications due to heavily trimmed functionality.
Thursday, October 06, 2005

Although it's not the same thing you're talking about, you may want to look into Xamlon Web www.xamlon.com that allows you to compile WinForms apps into Flash.  It would help cover the cross platform issue as long as the Flash plugins for other platforms have all the funtionality needed for it.

I was reading about it on 15 Seconds the other day and it looks like a pretty cool solution to getting WinForms apps out to lots of people:

http://www.15seconds.com/issue/051006.htm
Mark Send private email
Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Hi Mark,

well there is no silver bullet in technology...  :)  Xamlon is _currently_ probably most useful to the handful of people already building real apps based on XAML. (Funny how they don't mention XAML on the 15seconds article though.)

I did not research whether their offering also includes a C#-to-ActionScript converter, but I highly doubt it...

But thanks for sharing the link, might be helpful in the future.
Saturday, October 15, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics