The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Virtual PC?

I'm not sure that this question belong on this forum, but I'm desperate.

I want to install the Visual Studio 2005 beta on my machine. I seem to remember that there is some kind of Virtual PC that you can install so that beta software can't trash your machine. My impression was that it was some type of MS utility.

Anybody know what I'm talking about? Where can I get it?

Roger Jack Send private email
Tuesday, November 02, 2004
Google gave me this:

Seems that MS even offers a 45 days free trial.
JK Send private email
Virtual PC is program that logically divides your PC into separate virtual PCs, using software. You can even run Linux in a virtual PC partition.

If you want to test something under a windows partition within Virtual PC, you'll have to buy or license an additional copy of Windows.

I bought the MS Reseller's Action Pack, which contains VPC and also contains 10 "copies" of Windows XP. If you're in this industry, that's the cheapest way to go.
Bored Bystander Send private email
A year or so MS had a promotion of sorts whereby you could run VS over a Citrix-like session so that it looked and acted like VS but was up and running in seconds with a minimal download, and it didn't actually install anything of significance on your PC. I dont *think* this is the same thing as Virtual PC. It cost $0 and it worked well enough for demo purposes. Not sure where it's at now though.
NetFreak Send private email
Wednesday, November 03, 2004
Microsoft Virtual PC is one choice. I don't know the price, we've got it on the MSDN DVDs, and used it for a couple of weeks only. My experience was, that a WinXP on the virtual PC was holding back the physical PC much more than a Win2000.

Than there is WMVare, another program that simulates a PC. I think this is actually the leader of simulators, but it's not (even) shareware (AFAIK).
Hatod Send private email
Thursday, November 04, 2004
The correct name is WMWare, sorry (couldn't edit the post).
And WMWare exists for Linux too (if needed).
Hatod Send private email
I think you meant VMWare. :-)
Nate Silva Send private email
"I think you meant VMWare. :-)"

Yes, that's what I meant.
I confess, that I was lead in mistake by Google.

As I wanted to quickly check the name, I searched with Google for "WMWare". And it gave me a lot of results, among the first 5 being the title "Alternative to WMWare and Virtual PC".
There was a "VMWare" hit too, but since my (incorrect) word was emphasized and used in the expected context, I didn't look over more results.
This somehow reminds me of the saying "the computer behaves as you program it, not as you wish".
Friday, November 05, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics