The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Best RAD environments

I like Delphi 5, its simplicity especially, but I want to do more with databases, graphics, and I want to have more modern tools readily available to me, like list boxes with icons in them, etc, etc. 

The new Delphi programs are too expensive for me to justify purchasing for writing personal software programs that will most likely never sell.

I also like the Basic environment for Windows Apps. 

So, my question is, what are some simple RADs out there that may cost around $100, that can create stand-alone EXE files, make single computer database programs EASY to create - but don't require .NET or Java Run-times?

Here are some easy languages I've purchased and like, but the RADs aren't the best, and databases can be tricky (except for VB):

LibertyBasic
iBasic
BlitzPlus
Visual Basic 3.0, 4.0 and .NET
Delphi 5

I'm really good at PHP/MySQL, I've used PHP-GTK and like it, but again, no RAD, no easy way to create those GUI environments (that I know of).  Also - can't compile ARRG.
Ben Mc Send private email
Friday, September 23, 2005

Delphi 5 is still supported by many of the Delphi component makers out there.  I'm sure you can find lots of free listboxes that support icons. 

I don't think there's much to complain about regarding the Delphi 5 IDE as far as RAD goes.  You can find boatloads of free components to install and create modern-looking programs; the difficult thing is sorting through to find the really good ones.  I don't think any of the RAD environments ship with very spiffy basic controls; you've always got to add in 3rd party components for that. 

Here's one of the excellent free controls that supports Delphi 5 and which can literally form the core of a nice application:
Virtual Treeview
http://www.lischke-online.de/VirtualTreeview/

You can find scores of others at pages like http://www.torry.net

As far as db stuff goes, you aren't going to find anything with the level of support that Delph has.  There are both free and commercial TDataset descendant components available for accessing just about any database you can name.
Herbert Sitz Send private email

Microsoft Visual FoxPro is a great RAD environment tool.  Potent opps language with builders and blazing fast local cursor engine, unlimited runtime.  It has it's own backend but is a great front end for SQL Server or middle tier COM service for any front or back end.
Peter Diotte Send private email

Ben Mc > The new Delphi programs are too expensive for me to justify purchasing for writing personal software programs that will most likely never sell.

Delphi 7 Pro+ might still be available for purchase, and D2005 Personal is available for free if you don't intend to write commercial software.

> So, my question is, what are some simple RADs out there that may cost around $100, that can create stand-alone EXE files, make single computer database programs EASY to create - but don't require .NET or Java Run-times?

There aren't that are as good as Delphi and VB. PowerBasic and the like require that you go back to working with the Win32 API, don't offer as good a GUI designer, and have very little support for add-on's.
Fred
Saturday, September 24, 2005

You should check out Real Basic.  It's inexpensive and can compile for Windows, Mac, and Linux.  It includes a local database system, as well as some neat game stuff if you're into that.
Kevin
Sunday, September 25, 2005

If you're building a web application, check out Ruby on Rails  (http://www.rubyonrails.org/). Whilst I haven't actually used it myself, I watched a video demo showing how quickly you could build a database-driven web application with it, and it was very very fast for development.
Nathan Ridley [View My Blog!] Send private email
Monday, September 26, 2005

"I like Delphi 5, its simplicity especially, but I want to do more with databases, graphics, and I want to have more modern tools readily available to me, like list boxes with icons in them, etc, etc."

I do not understand what you mean.
Delphi is THE "database RAD". I've never seen an easier language to do graphics with either. Or listboxes with icons in them.. Have you actually worked with Delphi?

Out-of-the-box, Delphi supports Interbase, ADO, Access, Paradox and Borlands' own database solution. Freeware components let you connect to Oracle DB's, etc.

There are a kazillion freeware components with source that do just about anything you want, and do it well. As to graphics programming, *nothing* beats Delphi. Blazingly fast graphics out of the box or with free libraries like Graphics32.
Frank de Groot Send private email
Tuesday, September 27, 2005

"I like Delphi 5, its simplicity especially, but I want to do more with databases, graphics, and I want to have more modern tools readily available to me, like list boxes with icons in them, etc, etc."

If you think a more recent version of Delphi is going to offer spiffier controls for your user interface then you're pretty much mistaken.  You need to use add-on controls to get the nice stuff, so there really is no need to get a newer version of Delphi.  Just get some free add-on components, install in your Delphi 5 IDE, and go to town.
Tuesday, September 27, 2005

You could (ahem) consider Borland's CBuilder if you want a holiday from Delphi. Version 5.
trollop
Thursday, September 29, 2005

trollop -- People who don't know much about C++Builder might think you're kidding. 

For those who don't know, C++ Builder has the ability to use almost all of the many 3rd party components that are available for Delphi.  Only problem that is since those components are mostly written in ObjectPascal you get your true "holiday from Delphi" only to the extent that you don't need to delve into the source of your 3rd party components.  Still, for people who like C++ it's a very productive environment.
Thursday, September 29, 2005

C++ Builder 6 is the current version. Note there is no C++ Builder 7 or 8, like there is Delphi 7 and 8.

I'm not sure I would use it for the simple reason that it has always played second fiddle to Delphi and some of the best 3rd party components do not support it. For instance, Report Builder.

Dexter (Delphi 2006) is slated to include a "C++ personality," so perhaps Borland has not given up on C++. It has been several years since C++ Builder 6 was released, so I would not hold my breath.

For new projects, I would use MSVC.

I still use C++ Builder 5 for several projects, but unfortunately, the C++ implementation is dated.
MBJ Send private email
Sunday, October 02, 2005

Mine was an almost serious suggestion, hampered only by the problem of picking up a copy of BC5 for $100 or less. I've generally found components for BC3 and 5 to suit my modest purposes while awaiting the Godot-like successor to BC6 - in particular VirtualTreeview. There's a massive body of third party.

Licence fees will kill off interest in Delphi. MS is eating their lunch with Empower.
trollop
Monday, October 03, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics