The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Java screen package for character cell terminal?

Is there a Java package to write dialog screens for character cell terminals? 

I have some radio terminals on fork trucks that telnet into my computer through a terminal server. They emulate vt100 terminals.  In the old days I used a C package called Screen Aid.  Something like it, but in Java, would be ideal.
XYZZY
Thursday, September 22, 2005

This seems what you are asking for: http://www.pitman.co.za/projects/charva/

Disclaimer: never used it, just googled for "java character based interface" and it was the third result from the top.
Paolo Marino Send private email
Friday, September 23, 2005

Thanks for the link.  I've already looked over charva, and it looks like they are trying to represent a web-gui on a character cell terminal.

I'm really just interested in a character based interface, and am not trying to draw lines and boxes with simulated mouse clicks on different objects.
XYZZY

I don't think you will find much, then.

Java UI philosophy is based on a certain set of assumptions (as per AWT/Swing) and while there is no law against recreating, for example, "curses" in Java, there is not much incentive to do so.

If you build a new UI windowing system (char based in our case) for Java, you will try to clone either AWT or Swing, otherwise all the zillions java libraries out there will not be adaptable to it (unless someone invests even more effort in that).
Paolo Marino Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics