The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Q: Server or Client Side XML Transformation?

Hi all,

We have an automated testing framework that logs test run results to XML log files. I'm working on a simple intranet web site that lets a user view a file (corresponding to a test run). I have XSL stylesheets to transform the XML logs into HTML reports. My question is, would it be better to do the XML transformation on the client or the server? All the clients will be MS IE 6.0. The server will be running IIS. One possible twist; the user can select a detail or summary report, so the XSL stylesheet to use will vary depending on this choice.

This is my first foray into the world of XML and XSL, so any pointers or links to working samples of either implementation would be greatly appreciated.

Former COBOL Programmer
Wednesday, September 21, 2005
This post gives a decent explanation of why you might or might not want to do this server-side:

Basically, client-side is fine unless you forsee the possibility of wanting to support different browsers/platforms, the need to use new functionality in the future that won't exist on the client without upgrades, different renderings based on security level, etc.

The primary advantage of going client side is that it offloads the processing to the client, but since these are reports, the transformed output can probably be cached, thereby reducing the server-side load.
I have done a lot of both relatively recently, and the brief rundown is the following: if you control the client-side, i.e. if you develop for an intranet where all the clients are of a certain type and are forced upon the users, only then you can be really safe about the client side. In all other cases, and especially if you develop for a Web audience, do the transforming on the server side. But that really shouldn't be than much of an issue, because all of the modern Web environments have some kind of a transformation library built in.
Berislav Lopac Send private email
When you convert XML with XSL client-side you need to choose one specific stylesheet. This doesn't jive with your spec. Otherwise client-side transforms would have been a good fit for your needs.
slava Send private email
Thursday, September 22, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics